Please, no more ように, save me from ように!

Greetings!I am currently at the end of N4 and I am already tried of constantly seeing ように in grammar.In my opinion, greatest drawback of bunpro is that it doesn’t give you the feeling of the grammar, but makes you memorise it instead.I struggle to keep my grasp at grammar points, but it’s not always possible.For example, I’ve already seen a hundred of times when one grammar point is broken in many other.It was with まで, other words with で attached and so on.I am not against the idea to explicitly memorise the deriatives of the same grammar point.But at the very least, you should make something like the “root” to understand where is root of this grammar point.I mean, some grammar points just have the meanings and I cannot see the breakdowns even in the links bunpro provides.And that’s why I sometimes just have to memorise the grammar point instead of understanding.
But the king of all problems is よう.It’s very confusing.No, I didn’t write it right.IT’S GODDAMN CONFUSING AS HELL!
Yes, it’s more accurate to say as such.The thing is, I’ve already lost the main point of ように in the stream of countless ように…Although it’s sounds weard, it’s truth.
As I understood, よう represents something like “the case of”, “the way” and so on.With added に you can conclude that it’s pointing to that way and => translates like “in that way”.So, what’s the point of countless synonims of the one grammar points?Yes, they may be attached with a little different meanings, but they still are the same nevertheless.Can admins repent in their sins… I mean, in their mistakes and make it look good?

7 Likes

I feel ようr よう pain, よう’re not alone. It’s one of those aspects of learning one of the hardest languages in the world: A cool person even made this sweet this sweet chart I’m just coming out of the other side of grasping よう. I’ve come to believe that understanding its nuances is in part foundational for understanding how Japanese itself works. So don’t よう give up!

For me Bunpro’s breakdown of specific instances of よう has been super helpful. If よう’re overwhelmed with よう based reviews, maybe slow down (or just save よう’re よう lessons for later) until よう feel confident with what よう’ve learned. Or…do a bunch of them and barrel through them until ようr mind gets used to every instance. Either way, よう’ll come out on top of it I’m sure :smiley:

Edit: Here’s another notoverwhelmingatall chart of よう instances.

15 Likes

I don´t have anything to add, just wanted to say that i, too, hate よう related grammar.

We´ll just have to keep going at it >_<.

5 Likes

Thanks for the charts, よう’re my hero!

6 Likes

I hate to be that guy, but it seems to me that you are just lacking enough exposure to the language.

I think if you listen to japanese for at least 2 hours a day for one month it will automatically solve 90% of your troubles. And no, you don’t need to even understand what you are hearing. What’s important is just exposure and creating neural connections in your brain. Then, when you are learning grammar here on BP it will automatically click “ah! I’ve heard that before, so that’s what it means!” and you will essentially memorize grammar in a single second.

PS - ようis actually one of the easier grammar points because it is completely logical in all of its instances. There are much worse things out there :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Haha! I feel ya! English probably has a bunch of common turns of phrase that are similarly confusing for learners, I imagine. For what it’s worth, one of my mnemonics for ように is “You need …”, and for some reason I hear it in my head in the voice of Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant, crying out, “… yoooouuu neeeeed …” like in Whole Lotta Love:

E.g. If you’ve “reached a point”, then you’ve reached a point where yoooouuu neeeeed naaaruuuu! Ah! ようになる! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

This chart is absolutely awesome, thank you so much!

Also I’m in the same boat OP. It makes sense and I hear it a lot in daily speech but it’s hard to grasp when to use it or which version of it I’m hearing sometimes lol. Keep working at it!

3 Likes