[POLL] Would anyone be interested in a grammar point of the day club?

I was thinking about possibly having a grammar point of the day discussion. I really like to read through the grammar point threads here on the forums, but I feel like they often don’t really delve deep unless people ask questions about them. So, I thought that as a community it might be fun to pick a ‘grammar point of the day’ and have a discussions about it. Stuff like :

• Why does x work in this sentence while y won’t
  • General information about the grammar point
  • Exceptions, synonyms, antonyms, …
  • Examples, rare use cases
  • Anything really

Would people be up for this? I’ll have three POLLs here to gauge if people are interested and how we could possibly shape this thread, but please do feel free to offer any other suggestions on how we could possibly run this.

• I would love this!
  • I would love this, but only on weekdays!
  • I might join occasionally.
  • I’m not interested.

0 voters

Preferred Frequency?
  • 1 Grammar point per day
  • 1 Grammar point per weekday
  • 3 Grammar points per week
  • 1 Grammar point per week
  • Other (Please Specify)

0 voters

How to select Grammar Points?
  • BunPro Lesson Order
  • Alphabetical Order Through the Dictionaries of Japanese Grammar
  • Follow the Grammar Points from Grammar in the Wild
  • Other (Please Specify)

0 voters

3 Likes

Great Idea, just a few things:

• If it’s once per week, being weekday/weekend becomes irrelevant, as you have all the week to discuss about the grammar point that’s being highlighed

• The BunPro lesson order changes sometimes, so I’d probably find another closed list, probably per grade or JLPT N level.

3 Likes

I agree. I think JLPT N levels are more fixed and accessible to many Japanese learners.

Plus, I like the idea that everyone could join depending on which days of the week they’re free if it’s one grammar point per week. My schedule is all over the place, even with my once a week attempt of participating in GitW.

4 Likes

The once a week would indeed give everyone a lot more time to participate. The one thing I would personally just fear for would be that if we were to follow the JLPT / Grade levels, it would take around 2 years just to work our way through N5 for example, so many people would lose enthusiasm.

I do have a suggestion, but I don’t know how people would feel about it. We do it once per week, but for one grammar point per JLPT level. People are free to discuss just one, the once in their JLPT levels or all 5 of them. This could mean engagement for every level of experience, and people that want to participate multiple days could just select one grammar point on Monday, another on Wednesday or whatever pace they would like.

Does this seem like a good idea to you all? @Megumin @distantflower ?

4 Likes

Well you could then pair related terms into sorta “Lessons” if you fear it will expand way too much.
Doing per JLPT level, would just mean that I get to never participate on N1 N2 and to some extent N3 levels for the foreseeable future.

Maybe we could also get input from people that do content like @Asher?

2 Likes

How about this: Do a poll every week on which grammar points to talk about next (eg. “choose from these 10 grammar points”). Then choose the top 3 most popular points to talk about. That way, everyone has a voice on the topic and various levels can be included in the poll. And, to keep it interesting for the moderator (I’m assuming @mathijsdm), the moderator can add one “dealer’s choice”.
@Megumin @distantflower

I have a feeling some topics will get way more attention than others so you won’t need to go through every single grammar point.

4 Likes

I don’t care how you guys do it as long at the end of the week I know the grammar point forward and backwards

6 Likes

I quite like this idea! Makes it easier to find out what kind of difficulty people would prefer and the like ^^

2 Likes

Decided to just put up a thread and just see how it goes. @FredKore , I took your suggestion with regards to the poll, so thank you very much for that ^^

3 Likes

Awesome! I look forward to interesting discussions. :+1:
Thank you for putting this together! :blush:

3 Likes

Feedback for next one, please put furigana to the Kanji like:

この(くつ)のほうがあの(くつ)よりが()きです。

あの(くつ)よりこの(くつ)のほうが()きです。

You can use this tool, copy the result and discourse does the rest of the magic.

This is how it looks once you paste it:
この<ruby><rb>靴</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>くつ</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby>のほうがあの<ruby><rb>靴</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>くつ</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby>よりが<ruby><rb>好</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>す</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby>きです。 

あの<ruby><rb>靴</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>くつ</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby>よりこの<ruby><rb>靴</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>くつ</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby>のほうが<ruby><rb>好</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>す</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby>きです。

I know it might be a bit annoying and some extra time, but we can not assume the participant’s Kanji level. Also if you are going to put furigana based on the grammar point level, it will just create you more work to what to put furigana or not, so is better to put it on by default, IMHO.

3 Likes

Ack! I’m so used to having yomichan that I didn’t even think about that. Though I don’t feel like it should be something I should mandate. I’ll try and do it in everything I write, and I’ll add it in as a request at the first post of every weekly thread, but if some people don’t want to bother, I can’t really blame them.

1 Like

You can also do it on the fly like this:

There’s also a script you can get from that link that does the same.

4 Likes

Well, I didn’t say mandate, but at least for the introductory post, it would be nice.

Everyone is free to do whatever they consider. Maybe there’s a fancy discourse out there, a quick google search pointed for a few old ones at least.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get you :slightly_smiling_face:

I did do my next post (and retro-actively also my first post) with furigana and I’ll try to remember to keep doing it in those threads. Maybe others will follow suit, we’ll see. I might try and get that script @FredKore mentioned working, but seeing as it’s already 4:30 in the morning I think I’m just going to call it a night for the day :yawning_face:

3 Likes

My sleeping schedule is still a mess, I slept from 12AM to 3AM so I’m just doing Japanese exercises now!

dozeexternal-content.duckduckgo.com

3 Likes

You made a good point and I’m all for this going forward :+1:

2 Likes

Completely agree. Who knows that even some grammar point might even need a revisit or a follow-up after a certain week. It could end up being a deeper dive / thread than usual, which all around is good, in my opinion. Awesome idea!

2 Likes