Potential - Grammar Discussion

So I was brushing up on causative/potential/passive forms and then I realized something; are the potential and passive forms of る verbs identical? This could just be me parsing things wrong, but if it isn’t, is it just something that you can tell the difference between via context clues?

Yes, they are the same and you need to use context. This is also true with the potential form for ichidan verbs since られる can be shortened to just れる.

2 Likes

thank you very much

Can someone please expound on this hint I received?
Or point me to the correct direction to an article about it if anyone knows

Great! However, remember that ら抜き言葉 (words that omit ら) is considered to be a grammatical error by a number of Japanese speakers. To avoid issues, it might be better to avoid it, especially in polite (です・ます) speech.

1 Like

It’s just due to 見る being an ichidan verb. The grammatical correct conjugation is 見られる, though the casual version 見れる will often be used.

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I don’t understand why in this case i have to use くて in the response. I am aware that it makes the function of “and” but it really confuses me here. (please tell me if im wrong )

2 Likes

I think it is used to connect the ない to the すみません because there should be a て before すみません.
Hopefully this is useful to you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Glaciem52 It appears to be following the formula outlined in the て+すみません lessons, which can be found here, in particular the end of the first paragraph which explains the 2 different ‘meanings’ that て can carry in cases like this.

1 Like

Thank you so much !! I understand it now