Pricing for Japan

Hello!

First of all, great application, kudos to the team.

My question regards the pricing of the subscription, which is based in dollars.
Being Bunpro a Japanese company, you should know how bad right now the exchange rate Yen-Dollar is… Buying the subscription right now is horrible due to the weak yen…

Could you consider to review the pricing for at least people who wish to pay in Yen? I guess there are many users based in Japan.

Thank you very much!

5 Likes

Hey @alberto! Thank you for the suggestion and welcome to the forums :tada:
This is something we have considered but due our small team size, the time cost (both to implement and manage) and the fact that only a small portion of our users reside in Japan, we have chosen to put our time into improving and expanding the platform instead.

Maybe down the road as the team expands and we shore up the areas that are more pressing, we can take a look at implementing something :+1:

6 Likes

I don’t really think I get what the point of doing that would be? If you are going to just use a currency conversion to USD you’re still going to pay the same inflated amount of YEN. The price is the price and it’s going to be the price. Whichever currency you pay with the equivalent price is still going to be the same price, just with an extra loop.

3 Likes

I think they are trying to say they want to pay less since they are in Japan. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Because you are not thinking with a market-specific price approach.

For example, if you are an European, you buy contents in the Apple App Store priced in Euro.
If you switch to the Japanese store, the pricing changes based on the regional pricing. It is not a direct conversion. If I had to use the e.g., Spanish App Store, I would pay way more my currently active monthly subscriptions.

The App Store is just an example, usually companies adapt the pricing in regards to the market they are selling to. You can surf the web and find countless examples.

In this case Bunpro is adopting a easier strategy, which is understandable due to the size of the company. However, the strategy “damages” people which do not have favourable exchange rates against, in this case, the dollar.

5 Likes

Another way of thinking about it is that people paying in dollars are getting a good deal.

— Dave

1 Like

If you are assuming that the pricing for this product is good, well, yes, I guess you are getting a good deal if your income is dollar-based or another currency strong against the dollar.

If your main currency is weak against the dollar, it is the opposite though (which is the theme of the conversation).

2 Likes

My point was only that it is a matter of perspective. – Dave

1 Like

Nonetheless, thank you for the answers. Keep up with the good work, I wish you the best for the project development! Now back to studying :wink:

1 Like