Problem setting furigana display

Hi there!

I’ve been learning in Wanikani for approximately one year and a half but I’m new here in Bunpro. There’s a problem I would like to solve so I hope you can help me!

I would like Bunpro to display furigana based off of my progress on Wanikani. I have followed the instructions given by the website but it doesn’t work. I wonder why.

Here is where I am asked for an API token.

This is the place in Wanikani where I get the API token.

If you have done this before, could you please tell me step by step how did you manage to syncronize both sites?

Thank you so much :)!

3 Likes

I have long disabled furigana on bunpro, but just to test it out I re-activated the Wanikani furigana display here and it worked immediately. I do have a separate token for each service I use though, so could you maybe try generating a new token for bunpro and see if that works?

2 Likes

I did that yesterday but it didn’t work. However, I have just tried again and seems to work now for some reason. There are kanjis that I already know that still have the corresponding furigana above them, though. I guess that furigana stops appearing above kanjis after you burn each kanji. Am I right?

Anyways, thank you very much! :heart:

1 Like

I don’t remember exactly what level the conditions were, I don’t think it was burned though… But you can always click on a Kanji to hide the furigana, and I think it hides it indefinitely for that specific Kanji, though I’m not 100% on that.

1 Like

I think that kanji stop getting furigana once you get it to guru on wanikani. So quite early on.

I also think you need a separate API key for every application that you give access to your wanikani account. I have separate ones for wkstats, Bunpro, and a bunch of other stuff that I hardly ever use anymore.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Welcome to Bunpro. I hope the service proves useful to you and your japanese journey!

I see you’ve already solved the issue. Keeping separate API Keys is a good strategy.

We stop showing them once you hit Guru II in WaniKani, since that’s how they do it for their progression. We reference kanji rather than vocab, so watch out for tricky readings. You can always click the word to get the reading.

If you’ve any other questions about the service feel free to tag me or DM me!

5 Likes

It’s clear now @mathijsdm, @rikvg and @Daru.

Really, thank you very much!

4 Likes