Question about a sample sentence

I got this sample sentence today:

そのバスは速いんです。

What is the purpose of the ん after the i-adjective? If I was writing the sentence I would have left it out, which means I must be missing something.

2 Likes

Hey :grinning:

This is the so-called explanatory tone..

It is used when you want to ask for an explanation or provide one (or for emphasis), as opposed to simple yes/no questions, when using explanatory you want more details (more here).

4 Likes

@filkry

Check the post above.

Thanks for the info @mrnoone

1 Like

Didn’t know where to post this, so posting it here as it’s a question about a sample sentence…

It came up for potential form, but I think my question crosses multiple grammar points so I didn’t post it in the specific thread:

I think this is only the 2nd potential form I had come up so… It seems this is combining the たら point https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/102 which means if and the といい point https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/129 meaning “I hope”. In none of the example sentences for といい does it combine with たら, so I’m a bit confused how to read this one… I would have thought it should be 見られるといい for “I hope I can see”. Is this れたらいい form a common expression, and what does the たら add to the sentence? Or can I just take the いいね to mean “good”, so the sentence would be “If I can see the movie that I like, that would be good”?

2 Likes

There was a small error in sentence/translation. It is fixed now.

“hope” type sentences usually end with ね (usually used when speaking about others)・んだけど (about oneself)・んですが(about oneself)・な(なぁ・なあ)(about oneself)・のに (about oneself).
By the way, if the sentence doesn’t end with above-mentioned particles then it is the other pattern, used to give advice - you should 〇〇. Advice sentences often end with particle よ.

This is basically the more literal translation :smiley:

私の好きな映画がみられたらいいな
I hope that I can see the movie I like.

私の好きな映画がみられたらいいね
I hope that you can see the movie I like.

1 Like

Is there any difference in using 見られるといい to the 見られたらいい? As in the “hope” point, all the examples are といい rather than たらいい.

Also, in general, is there a difference in using といい/たらいい to 欲しい? So for this example 見られる欲しい instead of 見られたらいい?

1 Like

There is not much difference if any.

Also, in general, is there a difference in using といい/たらいい to 欲しい? So for this example 見られる欲しい instead of 見られたらいい?

ほしい is used for nouns ( noun + が + ほしい), for actions we use verb[stem] + たい.

The difference between といいね and たい is like difference between “to wish/to hope(といい)” and “to want(たい)”.

Hope/wish is about something that is beyond speaker writer control and want is something that is more or less within that control.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the help! I found that useful in discriminating those three grammar points! Cheers!

2 Likes