Question about the future of bunpro

Hey, so I am trying bunpro and I really like it so far.

To me grammar is kinda boring and I was really excited to find bunpro which seems to simplify the process. I feel like bunpro is almost perfect but its just missing something to make it 100% user friendly.

First of all, some grammar points combine many different things into one grammar point and then some other ones only have 1 exact point.

Some super easy grammar points like ‘mashou’ are towards the end of N5? its the easiest grammar point as it requires you to memorize a single thing with no rules! anyway its not a big deal since I plan to do all of it anyway I suppose. The difficulty curve is just weird to me lol, some N5 grammar points seem like a huge pain without lots of immersion.

The biggest deal for me is the whole interface is a giant mess (in my eyes), I dont know what each grammar point belongs to, it would be so much simpler to have sections or tags like this:
Verb → Conjurgation → Te form
Adj → Conjurgation → past form
Then I could simply think “oh I need to work on my verb conjurgation today”, I can simply click the subcategories and find my grammar points there.

Another thing that would be cool is a small tag on each grammar point saying if this is useful for conversational speaking to random people on the street? or is it useful for formal documents in the government. Surely it makes sense to skip the useless grammar or leave it until last? (By useless I mean, useless for people who arent planning on working in Japanese companies).

Another feature I randomly thought of is the ability to make your own grammar rules cheatsheet.
On each grammar point there is a box that gives the rules. I ALWAYS seem to forget some weird combination and end up having to find that grammar point again the hard way, it would be so simple to be able to pin the stuff you want on your homescreen. Please see this famous chart from wikipedia: http://cghq.net/japanese/verbs/AMB_Japanese_Verbs.pdf
It makes the whole overview of Japanese easy to visualize and you can quickly remind yourself exactly what is where. If only bunpro was like that, simple and easy to reference.

Lastly, I just have to mention that in my perfect vision of learning Japanese, there should be a central database with every single grammar point. I dont know past N5 but from my research and reading this forum it seems that bunpro is missing a lot of grammar, especially the big thread “missing grammar list”. People on reddit are recommending a mixture of jlptsensei website, with bunpro as well as dictionary of japanese grammar on top. This seems very inneficient to me as a newbie. Bunpro seems to be missing a lot of really needed info for example:
imperative form, dou question, ze/zo endings, anime/manga speak, some very very common slang and shortening of words. People really want to watch anime asap and they would be missing a huge chunk of info. I just dont see why bunpro has to restrict to N5,N4,N3,N2,N1. Why not have N5B or something like N5 Bonus which has extra stuff on top of N5, getting people ready for manga and anime.

I just dont understand why bunpro seems to be branching out into vocabulary when their main selling point is grammar? and thats not fully complete yet? just seems weird to me since most people use other tools for vocab and I always hear bunpro praised on reddit for its grammar. Just seems like its trying to be too many things at once, anyway just my opinion though.

I really enjoyed reading the quick writeups from bunpro, hopefuly that would be done for every grammar point, I dont see why grammar has to be hard, when you can do quick summaries and then let immersion really nail it down later on. I don’t want to watch 1000 hours of misa lol, even though she is a lovely person, I just prefer to read the shortest summary possible and then work it out myself.

Thanks for your hard work on bunpro, I hope it continues improving.

12 Likes

Hey there! I’m glad you’re enjoying Bunpro. I hope it proves to be useful and efficient in your japanese journey. To address some of your points:

We’re improving and updating our content constantly! From adding new ones to splitting existing ones, we’re constantly adding them. If there’s a particular grammar point you’re missing, rest assured it’ll eventually be added.

Bunpro is built on an N+1 structure, meaning our order emphasizes building upon what you’ve learned rather than going from easy to hard. This helps users get speaking faster than just mastering one-off points, even if it doesn’t feel that way at times.

I agree some points require extra practice due to their nature, but rest assured we’re cooking up something to address that. Stay tuned. :wink:

There’s also an update in our pipeline to address this! Can’t give specifics, though.

Part of the objective with decks is to solve this exact scenario you’re describing! We’re also planning to expand beyond N1, as you can read about in our year review post from last year (particularly the 2022 plans section).

As for missing grammar, we’re working hard to add all of the grammar to Bunpro, baseline being the bare minimum JLPT asks for.

That’s exactly the plan. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Please feel free to ping me or any of the other staff members if you’ve any other questions!

18 Likes

The difficulty curve is just weird to me lol, some N5 grammar points seem like a huge pain without lots of immersion.

Because they are by default.

I think you have the misconception that since N5 is the first level you encounter, it’s the easiest when in reality it’s quite the opposite.

N5 contains the foundation of the language and it’s hard. I can confidently say that while I had a grasp on things like particles it wasn’t until years later that I was at a point where I could say that I truly understood them to any meaningful level. は is the 3rd thing you’ll learn on the website and it’s arguably the hardest individual grammar point in the whole language, especially coming from English where there is just no equivalent.

My point is is that you shouldn’t be expecting a website to provide you mastery or really any higher level of proficiency from looking at a page with a few examples. You need to engage with the language and after a few million moji read, you’ll start to gain some true understanding.

15 Likes

Why is Bunpro just for anime lovers? There’s a whole world of Japanese possibilities out there that are unrelated to anime. :nerd_face:

8 Likes

Thank you for saying that! Not enough people appreciate that. Nice one!

8 Likes

The day when I have figured out some consistent rules for when to use に or で or と will be a good day indeed. I actually think this is harder sometimes than は・が.

1 Like

bunpro is great!

one thing I think is missing is text interpreting with multiple choices.

I believe we learn better how to read fast when we try to find the answer in a piece of text or article, if we go and back to each line of the sentences trying to find the answer, it is a way to enforce also the grammar learned.

at least that’s how I learned english.

1 Like