Questions about ほとんど

Hello! So I’ve been reviewing the ほとんど grammar point, and I’m hoping I can get a few things cleared up. The page says that ほとんど can mean “almost, about, hardly, and few”. Looking at the example sentences, it seems fairly clear most of the time which meaning should be applied. But there are a few sentences where it seemed they could fit a different meaning than the translation given, so I’m hoping someone can help clear why they would/wouldn’t have any secondary interpretation.

みんなは、 ほとんど帰りました。- Almost everyone has gone home.

^The first example sentence. Is there any reason why this couldn’t be read as “Hardly anyone has gone home.”? Would it just be up to context?

ほとんどの会社員が反対だった。- Most of the company employees are against it.

^Same here. Is there any reason besides context this couldn’t be read as “Hardly any of the company employees are against it.”?

田中さんはまたどこか行くのですか。彼はほとんどの国に行っているんじゃないですか。- Tanaka-san is going somewhere again? He has been to almost all of the countries, hasn’t he?

^Same here. Can it be as “He has been to hardly any countries, hasn’t he?”

褒めるだけでほとんどの子供が嬉しくなる。- Most children are content with just being praised.

^Same. “Few children are content…”?

These are all pretty much the same example, I know, but I’m curious if some could be read the opposite way, if none can, etc., and why they could/couldn’t. The question would also apply to the opposite case of the translation reading as “hardly/few…” and if it could be read as “most…”, but I couldn’t find any good example sentences in the grammar point.

1 Like

If you read the entry again, you will notice affirmative matches with “almost” and negative ”ない” matches with hardly. Other point grammar points such as はず behave similarly. I think connotation is clear with this rule. Like はず and はずがない, perhaps they could have split the grammar point to make it clear but the splits can become endless :upside_down_face:

https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/367

5 Likes

Whoa, you’re right. :open_mouth: Thanks for the tip, that clears up my confusion nicely. Maybe a note or something could be added to the page? Anyhow, I’ll keep this in mind for future grammar points; it never occurred to me to check whether the verb was negative or not.

3 Likes

The very first link in the reading section has this exact point.

1 Like

That it may, but there’s no indication. Readings should imo provide further/expanded information, but ほとんど’s meaning changing based on verb conjugation seems important enough to me to be worth mentioning on Bunpro itself.

1 Like

@eefara Hey! We have updated the structure and the example sentences/study questions so that it is easier to distinguish the “almost” and “hardly” meanings. We apologize for the confusion! Thank you for drawing this to our attention so that we could update Bunpro and thank you @lopicake and @s1212z for your input! Cheers!

2 Likes

Looks good to me! Thank you!

2 Likes