Questions on Wanikani Vocab Sync

Greetings!

Recently joined with a lifetime membership since I thought Bunpro looked like it could really help me pick up the slack that I had on the grammar side of Japanese.

For any who are also doing WaniKani (like myself) is the sync with vocab setting automatic? I am thinking it isn’t based on the settings layout, but wanted to check. It’s no big deal to click the button every so often, just was curious if there was any set it and forget it way to use this feature.

Appreciate any insights from people with more experience using Bunpro!

4 Likes

Heyoo, the sync definitely isn’t automatic, so you do need to click the button occasionally.

2 Likes

Click sync whenever you feel like levelling up on BunPro :wink:

1 Like

NGL the first click where I gained 18 levels was hella satisfying haha. More or less I was just curious why it wasn’t implemented to automatically level up since on the user end we had to take the step to add the API key. Figured it would do something like sync daily or weekly with WK. Oh well no biggie at all, me just more trying to learn the Bunpro settings as a newbie!

Just guesswork, but I think it’s got something to do with rate limits;
Imagine Bunpro repeatedly slamming the WK API with hundreds of requests all at once, I feel like that would cause problems.

So it’s easier and more sensible to let users sync manually instead.

But yeah, getting so many levels all at once is a very nice feeling haha.
(It won’t be as much later on :frowning: )

Makes sense. I don’t remember the details, but the API I used to work on was high traffic and we played around with settings and code that effectively played traffic cop to tamper that down. Great point though, there will definitely be power users who will slam that button a million times a day haha

Hmm, I’m sure I see recently learned WK vocab in sample grammar SRS sentences. So maybe it pulls those in automatically, but not for the actual Vocab SRS side?

1 Like

Could be. I just have Bunpro on grammar only and where I notice it, is kanji has hints removed for the unlocked Kanji I have on the WaniKani side.