Redundant Grammar points

Anyone else feel like some of the grammar points are too similar to others, if not exactly the same? There are quite a few I feel like should be either combined or done away with completely.

For example:

• The [~と言っても] grammar point is actually listed twice with no differences in N3-2 and N3-3 (This is the most glaring example)
  • べき (N3-1) and べきではない (N3-2) are two separate grammar points for some reason, even though the latter is just the negative form of the former. Other points (i.e. はず) have both the affirmative and negative form in the same point.

And then there are some where you’re just combining two grammar points together, which (to me) doesn’t really warrant a completely separate point. For example:

• ように~て欲しい (N4-6).
  • Again, the above といっても grammar point. It just combines the という and ~ても points. I personally think it could just be gotten ride of entirely.
  • ようにいのる. This one’s debatable I admit, but I guess I can understand why it’s there.

There’s probably more, but these are the ones I’ve found so far. Any points for or against this, I’m curious to hear them.

2 Likes

Yes, there are duplicates.
The same grammar point twice?
Repeated topic 言っても?

With a small staff and some features that made it difficult to “merge” personalized notes, this has stayed as a minor nuisance. I expect this will be resolved soon with the recently growing staff.

When there’s enough of a difference in usage or in the translation, they add another grammar point to explicitly point out differences. And it doesn’t hurt to have more practice on the same concept. As you come across more nuanced grammar points, you’ll welcome the added practice.

Some combined grammar points don’t translate well if you translate directly, so they add another point. (This could go into another discussion about how many Japanese grammar points are commonly translated into a convenient English phrases that do not match the literal meaning, but I’ll leave that one alone.)

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi @chella1788 !

Thanks for posting, and for sharing your concerns! We’re always happy to hear different perspectives, and what people find useful/not useful about the site!

While there are a few double-ups due to some implementation shuffle-arounds in the past, the vast majority may seen similar, but aren’t exactly alike. Generally we base our grammar points off of known structures that have been in previous JLPT exams, or structures within any of the various textbooks which also teach Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Japanese language (having very few possible syllable combinations compared to other languages), it results in many things that may look the same, but behave quite differently in regard to conferring meaning.

From your description, it sounds like you’re quite good at putting individual pieces together and discovering new meanings. That’s great, but ufortunately not everybody has this ability (myself included). The brick by brick approach to learning will often result in new structures that combine old structures, and this just aims to facilitate a different or deeper understanding of something that was learned previously. If you find things that aren’t useful, you can mark them as ‘known’, so they they won’t appear in reviews for you :blush:

I hope this answers your question at least somewhat, and that you continue to enjoy studying with us! :grin:

5 Likes

I am still early bunpro and I feel this with あれ, あの and あそこ

they are far from listener and speaker and I always confuse them.

1 Like