Remove casual speech

Would it be possible to have a setting to remove the casual speech answers? I have been studying at University with the Minna No Nihongo 2nd edition book and am finding that the casual stuff being chucked in, even when I select the Minna No Nihongo study to be setting me back a lot and not aiding me in my studies.
Also, please could the site be updated to use the 2nd edition, especially on the Readings pages.

4 Likes

I know that you are studying specific materials most likely leading to a specific test, but I would say that learning a language more holistically is in the end, a much better idea and therefore you shouldn’t try to avoid things such as casual speech just because it won’t appear in your textbooks (yet) or on your test. The upside is that when you do get to casual language, you’ll find it quite easy.

2 Likes

I get where you’re coming from and I probably would have felt the same way when I first started studying Japanese 5 and a half years ago. However on hindsight that really isn’t a good idea. I came to Japan to study Japanese for a year during my degree, and by the end of the whole year there were many people in my class (and I mean way more than half) who fell into the trap of relying on the polite form because that’s what they had used from day 1 in their textbooks. So many of them could communicate but not very naturally. Therefore in my opinion it’s in most learners’ best interests to learn casual form as early as possible (I’ve ranted about this on these forums before :joy:)
I totally understand that you think it’s holding you back in your studies so if it were me, I would use my textbook in conjunction with other materials (there are loads out there on the internet) and learn the casual forms alongside polite forms. You’ll be surprised how quickly it starts to come naturally to you.
Was there a specific casual form you lack confidence with? Like specifically verbs, adjectives, etc? I’ll try to help wherever I can.

2 Likes

Priority is to pass my exam and this slows me down just adding tones more on to it and getting in the way. I can learn the casual stuff later.

1 Like

I do agree with you, but my priority MUST be to focus on the exams I have every week. Once university is over I can then study the casual stuff better.

1 Like

Learning plain form and polite form at the same time as a beginner can be very confusing.
There’s a reason why some unis don’t teach plain form the first year.
To me it was easier to learn polite form and later go back on grammar points and learn their plain equivalent.
Also, I agree on the fact that plain form is probably better to communicate amongst friends but polite form is way better for any other situations and I’d rather speak like a book to my boss/the cashier/the landlord than mixing stuff together because I’d’ve tried to learn plain & polite form at the same time.
Maybe that’s just me and y’all are much more skilled in learning languages but I think I’m not the only one out there who feels this way.

3 Likes

You’ve said it better than me. This is exactly how I feel about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it already accepted both in most cases, but looking at the path there also seem to be items that just don’t fit MNN. For example MNN introduces 上手 and 下手 in chapter 9 but only with nouns, while the bunpro items mapped to chapter 9 are for verbs in dictionary form + の. In chapter 12 MNN introduces N1よりN2のほうが but on bunpro this item includes the usage with verbs. MNN only introduces the dictionary form in chapter 18 so MNN users can’t do this.

As a beginner I feel the exact same way! I’d rather learn and solidify speaking politely before I tackle more casual speech. It’s definitely been a struggle trying to do the Genki track and having Bunpro assume that since I learned う-verbs, I must also know the negative plain form. Even if casual forms were included separately or they removed/made optional the questions that require casual form answers…

1 Like

It’s an interesting point of view. For me the casual form is much easier and logical to follow than the polite one. Maybe it’s because I study it more with Cure Dolly?

Still, I think that the difference between those two isn’t so great when you are the beginner. And you can easily learn them both at the same time.

3 Likes