Reset or plow through?

So I took a couple weeks off after hitting level 60 in wanikani for a much needed vacation, but now that I’m back I’ve apparently forgotten everything :stuck_out_tongue:

My accuracy is terrible, I’m probably failing 60-75% of my reviews and the ghosts are rapidly piling on. So now I’m debating do I keep plowing ahead and failing, and trust the repetition of the ghosts to eventually hammer the stuff back into my brain, or do I just reset N4 and start that part from scratch again?

(and if I do reset N4, do those ghosts go with them, or do I need to wipe them out too? :wink: )

3 Likes

Speaking from personal experience, I’d just push through it :wink:

I got to to around Level ~24 in 文プロ before I stopped visiting in order to finish WK and focus on work/school. I started up again at the end of the fall semester, averaging roughly ~100 reviews per day for a week before they settled down to ~60 per day, which was usually 2-3 daily sessions of 20 reviews:

You may want to turn Ghosts off while you’re getting stabilized, though. You may also consider removing individual reviews if they were newly-added before you left off, or if you never learned them well, or if they’re frequently being mistaken for different grammar points. You can always add them back whenever you’re ready.

Whatever you do, don’t worry about being wrong; just let the SRS do its thing!

6 Likes

I’m not too worried about the ones that I’m ‘close’ on, like forgetting if it was te or ta before the grammar point, practice should fix those. But there are a number that come up that I draw a complete blank on, and can’t even begin to guess what it might be.

That’s why I was considering a reset.

I guess for now I’ll just start doing a bunch of cramming troubled grammar every day, see if that helps :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Since you can remove individual items, it might be a better idea to just kill those items you draw a complete blank on, rather than resetting altogether (and spending a lot of time re-reviewing stuff you already know well.)

I’ve done that before when I do a bunch of lessons of similar grammar points close together that I get confused with each other. Remove all but one of them, then slowly add the rest back over time. That way I can concentrate on the points I have problems with one at a time.

6 Likes

This is excellent advice :+1:

1 Like

I’ve plowed through on some platforms, reset on others - it doesn’t matter, just choose one and never look back.

Ronin said it best:
gEsFxww

1 Like

The same thing happened to me when I got to level 54 on WaniKani and took a bit of time off. I then reset to level 1, which I definitely wouldn’t recommend, since the first few months back were pretty boring for me. I would take an hour or so to work out to which level you’re still confident and reset to that level.

1 Like

I can’t understand why would anyone want to reset, apart from screenshot bragging right and fast level up. SRS won’t do it’s thing if you reset. I believe the memory will greatly improve overtime with SRS.

Oh, not talking about resetting wanikani! I’m happy with my 60 there. Talking about resetting just my N4 on here, since it doesn’t seem to be sticking well.

1 Like

In that case I think you can use cram instead.
I believe that’s the purpose of the feature.

Ah fair enough! The same advice for Bunpro I suppose. 頑張れ~

I had the same problem as you. I just reset and am happy I did it. It’s a more controllable workload and if you’re just getting them wrong all the time untill they’re within the first few SRS levels anyway, why not just reset. It’s not like this is WaniKani where you’re forced to go at a certain speed.

If it’s only a few grammar points that aren’t sticking you might just remove those until things are under controll, but if it’s most of them I’d just reset.

Plowing through until everything drops seems really inefficient and frustrating. Probably better for your comprehension as well to go over the lessons again and add them back slowly.

Too bad they don’t have a reset by srs level, then I could just reset anything that’s like 5 and under :stuck_out_tongue:

Or just a quick way to filter/see all items in an srs level then I could just pick those off.

1 Like

I went through something similar. I powered through all of Bunpro N5 + N4 for the N4 test in December, then gave myself a “small” break, which turned into a ~4 month break. By that time I’d forgotten most of the subtleties of the new grammar points that I hadn’t already learned and drilled sufficiently in real-life class.

I tried jumping back in for a couple days, but it was too discouraging, especially with the ghosts.

I reset completely back to zero, then have been adding new lessons at a more aggressive pace. E.g. I did 2 chapters of N5 a day for a while, then 1 chapter of N4 every couple days, and now I’m doing something like 1/3 of a chapter every couple of days, depending on how bad my ghost count is. Today is my 40th day study streak, and I just added the last items of N4 chapter 8 to my review queue. My total ghost count is under 40; and ~85% of my grammar points are at SRS level 7 or 8. I feel confident and happy in my grasp of the material. So, resetting worked pretty well for me.

I think one difference between Bunpro and WaniKani is that the total number of items in the SRS is just not that high. N5 + N4 together only have ~250 items, which is between 2-3 levels of WaniKani. It’s not a big burden to reset and re-up the SRS level on every grammar point when there’s only ~250 of them.

6 Likes