Reveal and grade VS manual

What do you use and why?
Up until now I’ve been typing it, but lately I have been thinking the reveal+grade might be better due to the fact I would be reading/answering A LOT more flashcards. Sure, you would get less “memory retention” per card, but more flashcards = up to 10x more exposure to Japanese for a slow typer like myself…

I wanted to run this by everyone here first to see what your opinions are on this and if you have any positive/negative experience from studying this way…

I use manual for grammar but reveal and grade for vocab. I go through a lot more vocab that way and it boosts my reading too. If I don’t remember the target words spelling and/or meaning I count it as fail

3 Likes

I use reveal and grade exclusively. SRS has it’s place in language study, but it shouldn’t be taking up most of the time. I personally shoot for a 1:4 ratio of SRS to immersion.

That said, reveal and grade is just faster. You get through more reviews in a shorter space of time.

The function of the SRS is to just remind you that things exist. You’ll truly acquire the grammar and vocab through your immersion in the language.

Running across a grammar structure dozens and dozens of times in the wild is what will make it concrete in your mind.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

4 Likes

i think reveal and grade is the way to go for vocab. i go manual for grammar though

1 Like

I use manual. I find it to be more engaging. I might switch to reveal and grade once I start reading native texts though, since my need for engagement may be met that way.

I use exclusively reveal & grade for both grammar & vocab.
At this stage my aim isn’t to work on outputting the language but purely understanding it, and for that purpose reveal & grade works better for me.

At this point for me there are far too many similar grammar points to be able to use manual input reliably. And it takes significantly longer for me to guess which one could be the right one based on the hint and context. I’d much rather just reveal and grade.

I use manual fill-in for both grammar and vocab. I think this helps you better recognize words in context and does not let you get away with ‘yeah, I meant that’, when you conjugate a word wrong

3 Likes

short term memory blips mean manual is way more reliable for me. I might reveal, then go “wait. what did I say the answer was?” Manual input removes any doubt, and the number of flash cards I do per day is so low that even doubling or tripling the time spent on an individual card wouldn’t make much of a difference overall.

For me it’s manual input on both grammar and vocabulary. It definitely takes more time, but I feel like my retention is way better.

2 Likes

I think manual is way better for retention.

But with limited time, I use manual for grammar and reveal and grade for vocab.

1 Like

I used manual for a long time, but I found it you take a break for example then come back, that it was clear I was more remembering the hints and “guessing” based on them because of the amount of similar grammar structures.

Also I find you end up sorting things in your brain based on when last you reviewed that grammar point and when you studied that new grammar point and you’re just doing mental gymnastics to remember one of a stupid amount of possible answers.

I don’t think understanding suffers at all through reveal and grade, but if you’re trying to remember all the different “conjugations” for a grammar point then maybe manual is the way to go. My personal take is that understanding is more important. However it may be easier to “get away” with just understanding once you have gained a grasp of the basic particles through the manual grind.

2 Likes

I use manual only because I use bunpro only as a written output tool. (I do my lessons and learn vocab elsewhere). With this approach the quantity I can output in a review session time is irrelevant to me, I look for quality only and I find the manual mode way superior in that regard.

Now I agree the hints can have too much of an influence and there is an issue with similar meanings and unclear hints which is problematic.
I am worried I am training for bunpro more than for japanese sometimes and possibly more on input than output in the end. But Bunpro completion is just a step in a much longer path and not a minute invested in it feels wasted, so I guess that’s ok.

2 Likes

Similarly to what others already mentioned.
Typing for grammar, because it’s too easy to glance over a missing particle or messed up conjugation and such otherwise. Luckily Bunpro allows take-backs, so you can still be your own judge and consider if failing and getting this specific ghost is going to be time-efficient.
Reveal-and-grade for vocab&kanji (not on Bunpro at the moment) because the volume is too high to type, and because you cannot type the pitch accent anyway. Just saying the word out loud paying attention to long vowels and accent and revealing seems more productive.

1 Like

I find reveal and grade very vague. It’s why I never really liked anki. I have to force myself to write to actually get it in my head.

1 Like