Review Tool Tips

I’m a little confused by the Tool Tips that appear during some of the reviews.

The following says ‘long form て + いく’ and it’s looking for 〜てはいけません (must not do)

But, in this sentence, it says basically the same thing ‘long from て + なる’ (must do).

I believe that for the cards which are looking for {なくて・なければ} {ならない・いけない} are essentially the same. The point is, it can be difficult to distinguish them, given the tool tips. I know you can just erase your answer and re enter it until it’s correct, but I’m wondering if there is a better way to indicate what is being sought after.

And then there are other cards that have no tool tip, but the correct answer could be any number of things.

Is the expectation just to memorize all of the sentences that fall under a grammar point?

I’ve also been thinking the same thing and struggle with knowing which grammar point that is expected of me to recall. Especially for grammar points which are essentially synonyms of each other (with only perhaps minor grammatical nuances that are available in the info for each grammar point). I imagine this will only get more difficult as I catch up to my books’ other grammar points that add more ways to express conditional statements and more ways to say essentially the same things.

1 Like

Yes, synonyms are definitely tricky! The examples above, if you’re following Tobira, are the first four cards in the second chapter.

To be honest, I’m not sure what they mean when they say ‘long form’ in this context. To me, long form is sometimes ます form (contrasted with short form or the dictionary form of verbs) and I don’t really think that fits here.

1 Like

I don’t know either. I thought they where referring to the ては construction, but I don’t think they could call it like “long form て”. Here’s a good Cure Dolly video on the topic. Searching in the forums i found this explanation:

@mrnoone is that correct? I think we need some clarification on these points

1 Like

I always assumed the “long form” in this grammar context meant not the なきゃ /なくちゃ contraction

2 Likes

It does seem now like that is probably the case.

This tool tip I’m OK with. I have mine set to “grammer nuance”

The one that gives me the most trouble is when they don’t include ‘negitive’ or ‘past’ in the tool hint. I don’t like Bunpro’s explanation of 持って来る, 持って行く, 行って来る. I would call these carry and come(bring), carry and go(take), go and come back (BRB, I’ll be back) .

Bunpro’s: “a phrase used when a specific event will go on to occur or continue to intensify” “a phrase used when a specific event is coming or has come to be a certain way”- this one the tool tip was [casual] and the answer was past tense.

1 Like

Lol! Yeah that seems a bit overly complicated. I imagine they don’t want to just “give away” the answer, but I don’t know that in any learning context I have ever been given those definitions.