RIP my 79 day streak

I had an unexpected emergency come up yesterday and didn’t get to do my bunpro reviews till a few hours after the day had clicked over. Pretty disappointing to see my streak get reset like that. It’s a shame there’s not a larger grace period before it resets but I guess that would defeat the purpose of a streak.

6 Likes

Time to rebuild that sucker! Sorry you lost yours though, I’m currently on 385 (the length of my account) and I know one day it’s gonna die and I’m already planning the funeral for it.

9 Likes

Welcome to the club where your streak gets Isekai’d.

I was devastated to see my 210 streak go away but after a couple months is not so painful anymore.
I’ll eventually get there again.

4 Likes

RIP OP’s streak August 8th, 2021 - October 26th, 2021.

I petition for a lost streak thread tho. Should be fun.

2 Likes

I feel your pain. I lost my 600+ days recently and also threw my dignity away begging for it to come back. Merciful Bunpro deities saved my from my plight…

5 Likes

I’ve lost 100+ streak recently. (If I didn’t reset N3, it would be even more than 100+ probably)

I’m sorry for your loss…

1 Like

Personally I wish streaks just… weren’t a thing. I find them a pretty weak motivator, and a huge demotivator when I lose them. I don’t think striving for 100% is healthy either, people need breaks sometimes and the concept of streaks seems antithetical to trying to avoid burnout.

21 Likes

Don’t know … it’s a motivation and nice gamification. But perhaps changing how it’s dispayed to avoid a complete reset to 0 …
Like for example a counter " full months completed". If we miss a day, well, we don’t have +1 this month, but it’s not reset … we will just have the +1 the next month

Or have bonus, like a one-day-skip-savior token every xx consecutive days

1 Like

Thanks for the condolences everyone, I’m certainly not going to let this set me back. But it is a bummer knowing I won’t ever be able to have a streak the same age as my account now.

That’s actually a fun idea, have a place for people to go to to post about their streak losses.

I was pretty surprised when I first joined Bunpro and saw it was not only a thing, but a quite prominently displayed thing. I think that’s part of why it’s such a bummer, I’ve gotten so used to seeing my little number tick up every day.

That’s not a bad idea. KameSame has a system where you get a gold star if you’re able to complete at least 50 new lessons each week. Maybe you could apply that to Bunpro somehow. Like do at least 50 lessons a week to keep your streak going, rather than it being a day by day thing.

What about an ultra rare badge for loosing a 100+ streak.

Then people will have to decide if they want the badge or to continue the streak.
sataniaexternal-content.duckduckgo.com

14 Likes

You monster! :grimacing:

6 Likes

I personally like how kitsun does it which is a bit similar to this. It simply shows you the number of days studied, and if you miss one it just doesn’t go up on that day. It’s also a nice indicator of how much active time you’ve spent on the platform overall.

13 Likes

I’ve thought a bit about how I would prefer streaks to work on sites like this in an ideal world, and I think it would look something like… instead of a streak you get points if you study and lose them if you don’t, maybe faster if you don’t study multiple days in a row. The goal would be that if you occasionally miss a day, nothing bad happens, but if you start missing larger chunks your score goes down. Maybe something as simple as this: If you study on a day, you get 1 point. If you don’t study, you lose as many points as you had non-studying days in the past week. So missing a day will just get you 0. Missing another day in the following week would get you -1. Then -2… all the way to -7 per day if you just stop studying altogether.

Or a simpler alternative if you prefer resets to zero: have people say how often they are okay with missing a day (e.g. once a week). Gives some leeway for healthy pauses or routines that don’t use every day (e.g. I tend to do different things on the weekend than during the work week), but doesn’t allow for you to completely slack off.

3 Likes

If streaks really bother you then the only solution would be to install ublock origin (or something similar) and use the zap feature to remove the box entirely so they never see it again. No matter whatever replaced that box, whether it’s “Days Studied”, it would have the same effect on motivation to study IMO. Anki has a streak feature and I completely forget about it, even though I do my reps and new cards every single day because that’s just how I study the language.

Like @Stormblessed showed, maybe you have a setting to switch between this or streak, but it would depend on what the overall users wanted. Orrrrrrrrr maybe have a setting to just get rid of the streak box entirely? Having users get dejected over something is never optimal, there’s gotta be some ways to ease it.

1 Like

There is rumor of a Bunpro streak necromancer that has, on occasion in the past, given mulligans to others who have lost their streak, bringing said streak back to life.

You just need to summon them through a ritualized séance where you speak aloud the streak amount three times in rapid succession while making a blood sacrifice to the Japanese grammar gods during a lunar eclipse…

Or if you let me know you want one, I can pass word along to him. :+1:

9 Likes

I would legit probably cry if I lost my streak… :cry:

I dare not deal with necromancers personally but I’d be happy for you to be an envoy for me if that’s a risk you’re willing to take.

2 Likes

I really like this idea!

Also, great user name! Love those books

1 Like

Can confirm. I lost my soul but I got my streak back, so… :man_shrugging: Do what you gotta do!

1 Like