ような・ように sentence

First, 綺麗な字 doesn’t show up in the translation at all. Second, I think this translation is misleading if the expected answer is ような. Since the translation says the person writes (a verb) like they are using a 筆, I would expect the answer to be ように. With ような, the translation would have to be something more like “That person writes pretty characters that are written as if by a fude” (or a less awkward version of that).

Are there any issues with my logic here?

P.S. まるで also doesn’t show up in the translation, and there’s also nothing in the translation indicating why 書けます instead of 書きます is used.

3 Likes

Hey!
Thank you for pointing it, and I am sorry for confusion :bowing_man:

I changed the translation to:
“That person is able to write beautiful letters as if (they were) written with a brush.”

The ような, just like 綺麗な qualify the 字.
まるで is here to point, that contrary to the fact(not written by a brush), it looks so.

But to be clear,
あの人は筆で書いたように綺麗な字を書けます。
あの人は筆で書いたように綺麗に字を書けます。
Are also good.

First one would be something along
That person can write beautiful letters as if she used a brush.
That person is able to write beautifully, as if she used a brush.

There is more about it in N3 grammar:
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/260

3 Likes

Thanks! Follow up question. Even though ような looks like and often acts like a な adjective, it’s technically not, right? I’m asking because as far as I know you can’t chain two な adjectives like Adj1なAdj2なNoun.

2 Likes

You can end it this way because it is a relative clause.

A) あの人は[筆で書くような][上手で綺麗な]字を書きます。
B) あの人は「筆で書くような」「書道家のように上手な」「綺麗な」字を書きます。

2 Likes

I didn’t want to make a new thread for a quick question, but I keep struggling with when to use な and に at the end of よう. I know it corresponds to what comes after it, but I keep screwing up.

私の兄弟は狼の群れの ように 食べ物がなくなるまで食べた。

As a recent example. If the よう is before 食べ物, then why is it not な?

1 Like

Hey :smile:

I think that reading this topic might help you:
みたい Question :+1:

2 Likes

About that sentence with the wolf-like brothers, in English there’s ambiguity over 1) whether the brothers’ eating is like that of a pack of wolves, and this just happens to continue until there’s no food left, or 2) whether packs of wolves don’t leave any food and nor do the brothers, and that they’re similar in that respect. Is that ambiguity also there in the Japanese, or does it translate specifically as one or the other?

Presumably if 狼の群れのように and 食べ物がなくなるまで are independent of one another and both modifying 食べた, the first example above? But could 狼の群れのように also be interpreted as modifying 食べ物がなくなるまで, which would mean the second example above?

1 Like