Should I reset the progress?

I’m considering resetting my BP account to get some extra practice. Specifically for N4 and N3. Even though I finished everything including N3 it feels that I still don’t fully understand many grammar points and just guessing the answer rather than really understanding them.

Has anyone done the same yet?

It may seem like just creating a lot of work for myself, but I think it souldn’t really be the case. I was able to complete N5 in just 2-3 weeks and N4 in another month, so completing everything up to and inclusing N3 shouldn’t take more than 2 months or so, since this time I will know majority of the stuff there. At least that’s what I think :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personally, I’d sooner comb through and reset certain grammar points than wipe the slate entirely clean. Being selective and targeting the grammar you struggle most with should be a more efficient/effective use of your time (and also, notably less demotivating).

Besides that, I’d recommend being very harsh during reviews, using the “undo” button as minimally as possible; if you need a hint of any sort to guide you towards the correct answer, mark that review wrong.

4 Likes

Also consider adding your own sentences for specific grammar. For the N1 I added a sentence for each grammar point that wasn’t on BP. I thought it might be useless since it was just one sentence each but it was surprisingly helpful!

7 Likes

I second adding your own sentences; I usually just grab sentences from grammar and textbooks, or steal liberally from the [Readings] links. I’ve abandoned Anki in favor of putting everything in Bunpro…which has resulted in me earning ‘Anki’ badges.

4 Likes

Could you just use the cram feature to get some extra practice on particular points rather than resetting?

4 Likes

@Rowena Agreed. I’ve done this before, it helps me greatly. If you cram a point and find you can never get it right, you could reset to get more practice with it if you’d like, but that’s up to you.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say everyone above - thank you for sharing your advices :slight_smile:

I still went ahead and bitten the bullet. Now a month or so later I can confidently say it was the right decision. There were a lot of grammar points which I realized I was lacking in. Even in N3. But there were a couple N4 grammar points where I benefited from extra study.

Now I’m almost back to where I was before, but this time with much better understanding of everything and extra practice.

For those considering doing the same as me - there is no harm in extra practice. Go ahead and reset everything. You will be able to catch back up quickly.

4 Likes

That’s what I did, I found that because I reset everything it was actually easier to progress and go through it that way.

2 Likes