Simple app for studying/reviewing Japanese vocabulary

While studying Japanese, I sometimes create simple apps for my own use. While working or doing something else on a computer, I enjoy listening Japanese podcasts, I also wanted to being able to study vocabulary so I created a simple app for myself on Windows. Though, sometimes (rarely) I go outside and I created a similar app for Android phones too, while doing it I also made it so other people can use it. And it has a great name… Tango… word… Tangoword. (sorry)

App is very simple, you click “play” button and it starts playing words one by one, first Japanese then English (or the other way around). It can run on background so you can listen it while you are doing other things on your phone, you may be working, in a bus or playing games, it just runs on background. It is basically a media player or spotify for Japanese words.

There are few options, most important is N level, you can pick difficulty of the words. That way you will only see words in your level. Please note this is not an app for learning new words, sure, you can do that but it is not ideal. This is for reviewing the words and improving your memory about them.

It is of course free and there are no ads or anything like that, so if you are interested, you can try it by using this link:

Last note: only Android and I am really not expert at Android development so if there are any issues, please tell me.

8 Likes

I love it !

1 Like

Works great and will be very useful to me. Thanks!

1 Like

Great idea! I needed something just like this!

1 Like

heck yeah! i love it.

at least on my phone, the English voice is quite a bit louder than the Japanese. equalizing the volume would be a great upgrade

1 Like

this is pretty cool. I’m using it on my tablet and the japanese words are in the picture. I would love to read while listening.

1 Like

Thanks, I can fix that when I finish next version.

Thanks, I actually fixed that issue but didn’t publish it yet, in next version it will be fixed.

3Q!

1 Like

Hello again, I fixed the issues you mentioned.

Very usuful! Can I add words? And how?

1 Like

That is not possible unfortunately. Voices are created beforehand so even if you could add words there wouldn’t be voices.

Thanks you.

1 Like

That’s awesome, thank you! Any chance there can be human readings from Japanese instead of text-to-speech? I’m not sure if such a free resource exists, genuinely asking!

1 Like

Even paid resources do not exist I think because there is no official list of JLPT words.

There are other text-to-speech softwares of course, some of them are better but it isn’t possible to record their audio in a normal way. In future, maybe I can use another text-to-speech but for now, even though I know it is isn’t perfect, this was the only option I had.

Of course, no worries! I was just asking because Takoboto has a paid feature which allows you to play the native audio for a word. Not all of them have it but the majority do, so I was curious.