Small Q about the show ''The Makanai''

Here is the show, The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House, about the a group of Maiko in Kyoto.

My question is specifically about the native title, 舞妓さんちのまかないさん (maikosan chi no makanaisan) and more specifically about ちの; I’ve approximated a translation, ‘‘The Maikos’ Makanai,’’ assuming the の is the possessive, but the ち is the real problem for me.

The only thing I can think of it being is as the suffix 地, would this be the correct assessment? So, “The Maikos’ Place.”

When I see the title written in romaji (e.g. on the MDL page I linked) the ‘chi’ has been written apart from ‘maikosan’ so I haven’t been confident in my guess, any expert knowledge on this matter welcomed!

1 Like

Could be wrong but I think it’s just うち but squished. んち for のうち is pretty common so I assume it is just that but without the ん since it is annoying to say.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s supposed to be ん家, as CursedKitsune has said.

Ohhh, so the う has just been dropped, that makes sense, thank you!

1 Like

I enjoyed the show a lot so hope you do too. There is also a manga which I read a few volumes of, although I didn’t think it was as good.

Most the Kyoto/Kansai dialect in the show is easy to understand or look up but maybe one to watch out for is that おーーーやす is the same as おーーーください. Some phrases that use this grammar have their own dictionary entries (I think like おいでやす) but they use it a lot in general in the show. Most the other features of the dialect are pretty clear if you’re familiar with some Kansaiben in general.

1 Like

Yes I did enjoy it - I am a huge fan of Ai Hashimoto and of slice-of-life dramas anyway, and thoroughly enjoyed this one. I noticed おおきに (hard to miss!) as a way of saying thanks, which was interesting - it’s always nice to see a drama that uses regional dialects :]

1 Like