Study Buddy System

Learning Japanese is a daunting task, especially when you are self-taught; that’s why starting today, Bunpro is launching a Study Buddy System!

The Goal

The goal of this initiative is to have people of all skill-levels be able to not only work together, but more importantly support each other throughout their language-learning journey.

How to Join

While we have some big plans in store for this feature in the future, we want to start it simple for the time being.

• At the bottom of this post you will see a list of 7 questions.
  • Copy and paste them below when you make your post.
  • Anyone who has a post in this thread is deemed as ‘available’, and there are no limits to how many partners you can have.
  • If you have a partner and don’t want any more, please edit the top of your post saying that.

How it Works

When you find a user that matches your own interests, you can reach out to them in a private message asking if they would like to become study buddies. You are free to have as many or little partners as you wish, just be mindful not to find yourself spread too thin.

When a match is made, you can use any off-site communications you wish (Discord, etc.) or you’re free to purely keep it on-site.

Becoming partners with people of various skill levels is welcomed as well! If you have been studying for a while and want to help out beginners, that would really go a long way. A slight word of caution - while that is great, the beginner who is asking questions is also encouraged to ask questions in the relevant grammar discussion thread.

Like mentioned previously, there are big plans for this in the future that we will reveal at a later date. Until then, users are encouraged to do a multitude of things together, including the following:

• Study grammar points and compare notes
  • Watch anime
  • Read Manga
  • Participate in community threads like Grammar In The Wild
  • Go through textbooks
  • Provide accountability and be held accountable yourself
  • Most importantly, just be there for each other to give support and encouragement!

This will be a work in progress as it first starts up, if there’s anything you’d like to see added or changed please feel free to reach out!

What is your Bunpro level?

• 0 - 10
  • 10 - 20
  • 20 - 40
  • 40 - 60
  • 60+

If you’ve taken real/practice JLPT tests, what’s a good estimate for your level?

• N5
  • N4
  • N3
  • N2
  • N1

Do you enjoy watching Japanese media? If so, what type?

• Yes
  • No
  • Type: Anime, Drama, Movies, Sports etc

Do you enjoy reading Japanese media? If so, what type?

• Yes
  • No
  • Type: Manga, News, Novels etc

Would you only like to match with users of your same skill-level?

• Yes
  • No

If you are a user of WaniKani, what level are you currently at?

• 0 - 10
  • 10 - 20
  • 20 - 30
  • 30 - 40
  • 40 - 50
  • 50 - 60

What are you truly looking for in a partner?

• Someone to primarily study with
  • Someone to primarily watch Japanese content with
  • Someone to take practice tests with
  • Someone to primarily cheer and encourage them
  • All of the above

Your time zone and availability (morning, afternoon, evening)

• Example: JST AM
25 Likes

Super great initiative and happy to see it. I do something similar already, and it greatly helps.

I think it would be important to add an availability / timezone / preferred communication method.

12 Likes

• 0 - 10

If you’ve taken real/practice JLPT tests, what’s a good estimate for your level?

• N/A

Do you enjoy watching Anime and other Japanese media?

• Yes, though I haven’t watched a whole lot.

Do you enjoy reading Manga and other Japanese media?

• Interested, but haven’t read anything. Hoping to use Manga as a means to learn how to read in Japanese once I reach that level. Not quite there yet.

• No, any level is fine.

• 0 - 10

• Someone to primarily study with. Sharing resources, updating each others’ progress, sharing frustrations, successes, milestones, failures. I’m studying 100% alone (aside from all the lovely forum friends) and it tends to get a bit dry. It would be fun to share the journey with someone and keep each other going when things get rough.

• Oh! Also, one of my biggest goals is to someday play video games in Japanese. So, one of my first big goals is to immerse myself in some simpler game. Might be fun to share that experience with someone as well!

• PST Afternoon/Evening
13 Likes

Good point! Added it in there :smiley:

8 Likes

Yes

I’m not a user of WaniKani but I know close to all of the kanji it teaches.

No

I’m mainly looking for someone who I can just talk to about studying Japanese, see how their progress is coming along, and to encourage one another.

Something else I should mention is that I’m learning Japanese through acquisition. So basically I’m doing zero output until I reach full comprehension. That being said, I don’t practice speaking at all and I don’t really read anything that doesn’t have audio accompanying it.

14 Likes

Great initiative! I already have a good friend with whom I do an “intensive” study-buddy system where we have a multi-hour study session 2 - 3 times per week, so I’m not looking for anything too intense, but if anyone is up for something more casual (or if anyone is new and wants someone slightly higher level to help / chat study methods and the like) I’m definitely open to it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

20 – 40 after reset a month ago, currently reinforcing basics to build a stronger foundation.

N/A (I’d Estimate around early N3 in reading, N4 in listening and a down-right basic N5 in speaking)

Yes, preference goes to Slice-of-life and comedy in Anime, like romance, comedy and anything casual in tv.

Yes. prefer manga and short stories.

No, happy to match with anyone.

Technically level 12, haven’t been using it and have reset at around level 20 before.

Someone to primarily study with → Exchanging notes, sharing difficulties, …

Preferred short daily updates, encouragement, helping each other with questions if we can’t find the answers ourselves.

My personal focus is on literacy, I enjoy watching anime and the like, but my main focus is on reading more manga / books and anything in that direction.

CET (UTC +1), I work shifts so availability changes on a weekly basis. I can “do” any timezone if we don’t have to be directly-chatting each day, as every three weeks I’ll be living in a certain timezone again :stuck_out_tongue:

Preferred communication

On-site, either with a shared study log or through private messages.

8 Likes

• 40-60 (45 as time of this post )

• I have the N3 certificate, but I consider more luck than true skill. I think I’m more towards N4 .

• Yes, mainly anime. I prefer comedy/slice of life, but I’m open to other genres.

• Yes, Novels is my main objective although being proven difficult. Currently doing Manga and sometimes Games.

• Preferred but not required. I feel like I would be an eyesore if I had too much difference of a level with whoever I match.

• Forever vacation mode. Reached level 20 at some point, reset, and now cancelled the sub. If it serves as reference I’m finishing Kanji Kentei level 8 which covers 440 kanji learned up to the third grade of elementary school (age 9)

• Primarily share progress, encourage each other and exchange learning methodologies. I’m focusing on reading comprehension right now, so I might not be the best match for everything else.

• Extremely irregular due to shifts, specially during the summer. Might have some extra time during winter and spring. Timezone is GMT+2

Preferred communication

• On site, through DM’s. Discord might be an option if the necessity arises.
11 Likes

• 60+

• N/A

• Yes
  • Type: Anime, Youtube tour/casual videos, documentaries about literally anything. I’ll pretty much watch anything just as long as it’s interesting and isn’t too campy/cheesy. If it counts, I enjoy watching Japanese pro wrestling and baseball! RIP my sleeping schedule when that happens though.

• Yes
  • Type: Manga, a little news, looking to get more into the medium as I start immersing more!

• Nope! Happy to match with any level, my Bunpro level is FAR above what my actual skill is lmao, I’d preferably like to have someone my own skill level and then a beginner to both help answer some things and also refresh my memory from time to time!

• 41 in my WK anki deck :^)

• All of the above. At this exact moment I don’t really have time to sync up a watchalong with others re: anime, but in the future I’d be more than down! Exchanging notes, tips and tricks, encouraging each other, general chatting about shared interests, etc. I’m game!

• Currently, west coast USA. Pretty much available all day to chat back and forth!

Preferred Communication

I’d prefer Discord, just because I would rather not keep the site open on mobile to check-in on messages, but honestly I don’t mind. If someone just wanted to exchange notes/tips then PMs here would be fine, otherwise Discord.

10 Likes

60+

N4 for sure (I hope so!), maybe N3 (I heard the passing score is 95 out of 180, so why not)

Yes, anime, mostly slice of life and “cute girls doing cute things”.
However, my favorite titles are FLCL, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Urusei Yatsura.

Yes, slice of life manga

Any JLPT N5 and above user is fine

If you are a user of WaniKani
Nope

Someone to send memes*

UTC+3, actual availability differs from day to day, so you can write me anytime

Preferred communication
Telegram, on-site PMs are fine too

* Ok, not just memes. I’m a lazy translator in a scanlation team, also sometimes I do some fansub too. (That’s why I’m practicing translation every day in the GITW thread.)
I’d like to find someone who shares the same hobby in order to help each other with some difficult sentences.
Also, it would be fun to find a French-speaking Japanese learner, because my French is way worse than English, and I feel like it’s getting even worse while not using it.
Feel free to write a PM to me!

11 Likes

This just gave me PTSD of my days with SubStationAlpha.
Your contributions to the society are appreciated!

9 Likes

• 30-40 (Level 37 as of now)

• I’m studying for the N4; I’m very much still a beginner.

• I enjoy anime- I don’t watch it too often but I enjoy all types of genres.

• Yup, mainly manga. I would say that I read manga more than I watch anime because anime is pretty time consuming. I also like light novels, but I’m not quite at the level to read them in Japanese yet.

• Any is good, but I don’t want to be a pain for anyone.

• Been procrastinating on WaniKani for a while. I might start working on the Anki deck sometime soon, though.

• I just want to be able to share accomplishments with them, and hear about their accomplishments. I want to learn about other learning methods they might use- I just want to have someone to talk to about learning Japanese in general, I guess.

• I’m on the West Coast of the US, which I think is GMT-7/8. I’m a student, so I might be a little busy occasionally, but most of the time I’m free to chat on Discord/whatever; the only times I’m not free are probably during finals or if I have a lot of work to do.

Preferred Communication

• Discord, probably. I’m on it most of the time, but if you want to DM through Bunpro, that’s cool. Pretty much anything works. Also, my discord is katsu#4587 if you want to add me anytime.
10 Likes

Haven’t taken fancy-pants tests, but I’d say N4. Working through N3 and am right in the middle of it.

Heck yes. I love games, but I use anime and manga to practice and to immerse daily.

It would be preferable, but it doesn’t matter tbh.

Vacation mode purgatory. I ended at 43 before I decided to plunge in immersion and reinforce my grammar.

I think it’s important to keep going little by little each day, so having a study buddy adds accountability, so having an accountabilibuddy is important so you can both be accountabilibuddiable. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EST - but I work late, so probably late evenings EST.

11 Likes

70+

I’ve passed the N3, am taking the N2 in a few weeks! :grimacing: My level is closer to N3 though.

I do! I prefer dramas over anime though. I mostly watch romance, but I’m not too picky on genres.

Mangas for sure. I’ve been dabbling in novels, but not too much yet. My Natively for reference: conan | Natively - Learn through native resources Would love to dive into non-fiction too one day. :slight_smile:

N4+ would be preferred.

I have graduated from the kanji mountain, but all their new additions keep bringing me back. The love for the Crabigator never dies. (AKA level 60)

Primarily someone to chat with about language learning (Japanese or otherwise, I’m also learning Russian) and encouragement. I’m definitely open to sharing resources or things we find interesting.

I’m on Eastern time, typically available most hours of the day. I can chat here on the forums, Discord, or Twitter DMs.

I will note my face has been trapped in books studying for the JLPT, so I can’t promise a speedy response time atm. :joy:

11 Likes

• 0 - 10

• N5
    Haven’t taken a real JLPT or intend to but I’d probably get like a D+ on N5 :slight_smile:

• No
    I don’t like anime but I don’t really hate it I could watch one with a homie though

• Yes
    Easy NHK it’s pretty fun and easy to read plus the articles are small!

• Yes

• 10 - 20
    Currently taking a break from wanikani but going to get back in it before long

• Someone to primarily cheer and encourage them
    Or you know cool memes

EST PM

9 Likes

• 40 - 50

• I feel that I am around N4-N3

• Yes

• Interested, but haven’t read anything since finishing Gantz. I have yet to complete a Manga series in Japanese though

• No, any level is fine.

• 0 - 10

• I think it would be great to have a study buddy to go over some points that I may not understand completely or just to bounce sentences off of to see if they make sense grammatically. Also someone to discuss my successes and failures with. I’m making plans to move to Japan long-term, so talking with anyone who may be looking to do the same would be great. I would be happy to experience this language journey with another and give and receive encouragement through it all.

• CST Afternoon/Evening
8 Likes

Ya know I was kinda thinking this over and maybe instead of just groups of two people it could be just small groups of like 5 -10 people that way it’s more of a team thing. Or not idk :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You can totally do a group of more than 2 if you’d like!

7 Likes

• 40 - 60

• N5

• Yes

• Type: Anime, youtubers, podcasts
    I don’t watch a whole ton of anime but there’s a lot of genres of media I like. There’s a few youtubers I enjoy as well.

• Yes

• Type: Manga, Novels, internet media
    I own a few sets of japanese manga, i can’t read them easily but i love them a lot.

• No
    as long as we both help each other i think this is totally fine!

• 30 - 40
    i’m at level 29 but i’ll be at 30 soon so this counts for me

• All of the above
    there’s not a lot that i’m not into, talking about japanese, asking each other questions, reading something together ect.

• 10 am to 2 am CST (Central time USA)
    I might not be available “All” the time but these are the hours i’m awake and would be able to do something
8 Likes

• 60+

• N3-N2

• Yes, I’ve been trying to expand beyond anime and the odd YouTube channel but there aren’t too many other shows that hold my interest. At least with what I’ve been able to find watchable online.

• Yes, I read a few manga chapters a week and have been reading some light novels, but not comfortably.

• No, there’s just as much value studying with someone who hasn’t invested as much time as you as there is with someone more advanced.

• 50 - 60

• Any and all types of Japanese studies/activities are welcome.

• GMT Weekdays Afternoon/Evening, Weekends potentially any time.
10 Likes

As Jake said, you can do more than two, and you can even do the group thing on the DM/PMs system from discourse if you choose so over other communication methods.

7 Likes