Targeted learning of similar grammar points

This point has come up a few times in the general Feedback thread. I thought we could brainstorm all together to try and find a good Solution to drill down nuances in very sinilar grammar points (for example, ようだ or みたい or そうです or one of the other ways of saying “seems like”).

I think generally, BunPro does a lot of things right in this regard. Catching similar answers and handing out hints (“more formal”, or “this is saying X”) is a great start. But perhaps we can improve on this.

For example, we could create Groups of similar grammar points, e.g. all ways of saying “but” or “If” or “seems like”.
I could then imagine a new mode similar to Cram where you can review all of these grammar points that you have unlocked (and, perhaps, at least at SRS 2?3?) at once. New in this mode would be more specific hints for the "wrong " version (eg answering が instead of けど).

Even better would be some kind of “Guided Tour”. It would show a sentence together with an explanatory sentence highlighting wjat makes that version special. In our “but” example, it could say something like

けど is a more casual way of saying “but”. It might be used in a conversation among friends:
(Example sentence with けど here that is such a casual conversation)

Continuing on, the “guided tour” would showcase all (unlocked) variants and then evolve into a “cramsession” of only those grammar points.

I think a lot of the content necessary for that already exists. Many of the explanations by @mrnoone could be repurposed for this – it would make them easier to find, giving them the spotlight they deserve, and people would be guided by Bunpro to the subtle nuances, instead of having to find out the hard way.

What do you guys think? Do you have suggestions for such “groups” of similar grammar points? For instance, I’d also love to see a “All about よう”-group :slight_smile:

10 Likes