The Bunpro Race through the Past Of Japan

Congratulations everybody!

:partying_face:

We did it!
All participants will be rewarded with new, cool badges!

Soon, we will start a new race.

26 Likes

:balloon::balloon::balloon::confetti_ball::tada:And that’s a wrap! Time to take a nap before the next one starts​:tada::confetti_ball::balloon::balloon::balloon:

16 Likes

Great job everyone on doing all of these reviews
Thank you @SteveB for all of the history lessons on Japan

9 Likes

I’m glad people enjoyed the posts, I certainly enjoyed writing them.

Last thing: Technically the Meiji period didnt officially stary until Oct 1868, and the Boshin war wasthe culmination of the meiji restoration, so the rest of the story:

With the full restoration of the emperor, the final conflict, the Boshin War, was set to begin. After having the emperor restore all power to himself, the Choshuu and Satsuma domains (the main drivers of the pro-imperialist forces) forged and edict that called for Yoshinobu to be stripped of all his powers and aggressive force allowed to be used against him, despite him having not actually done anything more than resign to Osaka. Yoshinobu wrote a letter of opposition to this action to the emperor, and due to the large rebel forces around Kyoto, sent it with a large force of his troops (including his Shinsengumi) to ensure it arrived safe. They were refused entry and attacked by the Satsuma & Choshu forces, resulting in the Battle of Toba-Fushimi, and the first battle of the Boshin war. The Tokugawa forces had the advantage in numbers, but the Imperialists had much more modern weapons and guns. Things quickly went bad for shogunate forces, and Yoshinobu fled back to Edo when he heard the news. After winning the battle of Toba-Fushimi, imperialist forces marched all the way to Edo, and after a few battles, forced its surrender to the emperor. While the main part of the war was over and Imperial rule secured, the final conflict occurred up north, where remaining shogunate forces and a few clans still loyal to the shogun organised the Resistance of the Northern Coalition. After initially causing some causalities to imperial forces, they were poorly equipped for any significant battle, so once reinforcements arrived, they were outgunned and defeated. Remaining forces fled to Hokkaido and tried to create an entirely new Republic of Ezo, but failed to gain any real traction and were forced to surrender to overwhelming forces 5 months later. Overall, the rebellion and Boshin war resulted in around 8000 deaths and 1000’s wounded. At the end of 1868, the emperor’s residence was moved to Edo, and the city renamed Tokyo. The domain system was abolished, along with the roles of the Daimyo. The Samurai class also came to an end, with many moving into administrative roles, but also leaving many to unemployment or working basic labour. Huge changes followed to every system in the country with the beginning of the Meiji period, quickly bring it up to speed with the rest of the world, and finally, into the country we all know and love today.

18 Likes

111,102 (community total) + 639 (my reviews) = 111,741

2 Likes

111,741 (community total) + 6 (my reviews) = 111,747

2 Likes

was i too late for the badge XD

4 Likes

Don’t worry, there will be another opportunity soon enough :wink:

2 Likes

When will we receive the badge?

3 Likes

It takes a while. Maybe a week-ish?. It’s a very low priority thing I assume and they do it when they have some spare time.

5 Likes

Ok, no problem, I was just worried if there were a bug that causes to not unlock the badge. Take your time then, no worries

4 Likes

Usually they post when it’s distributed for everyone, and then if you are missing it by that time then yes, you can contact them to fix it if you don’t have it.

So yeah, just hold on tight.

5 Likes

Your opportunity!

3 Likes

I didn’t get my badge :frowning:

4 Likes

The badge for the races normally takes a while to appear after the event has ended. I still haven’t received mine for this race, and I’m sure many others are in the same boat.

Don’t worry, usually there’s an announcement once the badges are out. :+1: While waiting, you can distract yourself with new lessons and reviews to be added to the next race. :wink:

6 Likes

Apologize for the wait. :sweat:
I have uploaded the new badge and everyone should have it. If you did not get it, please let me know and I will get it applied to your account.

Here it is in all of it’s glory courtesy of @Daru

amazing-race-edo

23 Likes

Amazing work again, thank you so much! :star_struck:

p.s. would love to see these as stickers or merch later down the line maybe

7 Likes

Such a beaut :heart_eyes: seconding @nas352’s call for merch!!

3 Likes

Is there any way to get these badges for those who didn’t know about this until now?

1 Like

@cosezu
We plan to repeat the race eventually, so that everybody could get the badge!

6 Likes