だんだん

だんだん can be translated as the following according to the grammar point:

gradually
little by little
step by step

My English is not perfect, so is “with time” also a correct translation here? Or is that too slow?

Also, :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That seems to be close, but in english the nuance difference with time implies completion while the others only imply progress. My assumption is that どんどん only has the nuance of progress and not completion in japanese and makes it only a 75% fit.

4 Likes

I think I’ve misunderstood with time my entire life then. If I say “You’ll become better at Japanese with time”, am I implying that I will complete Japanese at some point?
What would then be the difference between “in time” and “with time”? I thought “in time” was guaranteed to happen? (“In time, you will become a great king”)

EDIT: https://www.quora.com/What-s-the-difference-between-in-time-with-time-and-over-time :exploding_head:
I think over time would be best here then :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah referring to that quota post I think So.

In that case it it’s not that the end goal is completing Japanese, but to get better. That is the end in and if itself. If you said, “In time you will perfect Japanese,” then yeah I would say it does mean you will complete Japanese.

In time and with time have a very similar meaning, but in time is more referring to the future whereas with time makes time feel like an ingredient. And I also agree over time definitely feels closest to だんだん. It’s not really referenced an end point or not

4 Likes

Ah! I understand now. Thanks! :blush:

2 Likes

I see no reason why it wouldn’t work imo, the nuance seems to fit. If you mean “gradually” when you mean “with time”, then it would be a full fit.