行きたくなった?

行きたくなった - What conjugation is this? “had to go to the bathroom” The only thing that I think of that is close to this is いかなければならなかった いかなくちゃいけなかった because as I learned here, those mean " I had to go to the bathoom" correct?

行く → 行きたい → 行きたく+なる → 行きたくなった = “became wanting to go”

4 Likes

Class or no, the bathroom waits for no one.

2 Likes

Thank you. This makes sense. But when I think of the 行きたい form I’m thinking of “wanting to go”. Is いかなくちゃいけなかった not “have to go” Does that work in this situation or how does it differ?

One thing that can be helpful is to shy away from literal translations. Most of the time in English when we say “I have to go to the bathroom” we mean “I want to go to the bathroom” (unless you have IBS or something, in which case that “have to” would be literal.)
So in Japanese, it doesn’t literally mean ‘have to’ it means ‘want to’ but we would never say ‘want to’ in English so the most comprehensible translation was chosen.
It’s actually somewhat rare for common phrases to be able to be translated literally.
Like the English “What the heck?” wouldn’t even begin to make sense if you translated literally as something like “何地獄” instead a Japanese would say “一体” (literally: one object).

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation !