されし

Hi all,

I don’t know if this is one of the grammar points - I don’t think you can search for Japanese, can you? - but I came across it today, where it seemed to be used as an auxiliary verb or something. Can anyone tell me where it comes from/what it’s used for? I wasn’t able to look it up anywhere.

2 Likes

You certainly can. Go to the Bunpro search function under “Grammar” and type in the grammar point keyword in hiragana. You may also do a Google search with Japanese text.

1 Like

@CrisH
Hey :cowboy_hat_face:

Japanese is highly contextual, if you provide whole sentence (or maybe few sentences before it and after, the context) it would be easier to help :cowboy_hat_face::+1:

1 Like

Oh right - perhaps it’s just that nothing I’ve tried searching for has come up!
I did try a Google search, but just a basic putting the word in…trying it with “grammar” as well, it seems to be an archaic form of された.
Didn’t get any context, I’m afraid - it was beyond what I could understand by hearing :frowning:

2 Likes

Sounds like a humble verb ending/stem し(ます)and the shortened causative-passive form させられる -> される though this doesn’t make sense to put a suffering causative with a humble form. Or there could be an honorific form of られる using a す verb with a humble し stem ending, again that doesn’t make sense to me either. Since it’s a audio pickup, that is hard without context.

However, something fruitful from this search is that the shortened causative-passive form (+ the special rule for さす) nor honorific られる are not in BunPro which are both ~N4 (att. @mrnoone and missing gramma list)

2 Likes

If it helps, it was episode 436 of Naruto and I think Sakura said it, but that’s a long shot and I doubt it’s transscripted anywhere!
You know, the most likely thing is that I misheard…until you know a word it’s really easy to mishear it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@CrisH
I bet this site will help:
https://kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles%2Fjapanese%2FNaruto_Shippuuden%2F

:+1:

1 Like

Is it possible the し was being used like in n4 lesson 6: 1/19

Not one “されし” in hiragana in the whole episode :expressionless:
Well I guess if I ever rewatch it, I might know it by then!