お箸はしはこの__使つかいます

Can anyone explain why in this exercise, the answer expected is ように rather than そういう? I’m very confused by all the sou and you grammar points!

お箸はしはこの__使つかいます。

Chopsticks are used like this.

The easiest way to tell is that この is basically “this” , it’s for stuff near the speaker, whereas そういう is “like that”/“that sort of” etc, it’s for near the listener, and so the two words are in conflict about the location they talk about - this vs that. こういう would also be wrong since it’s “this sort of”/“like this” etc and この already made clear we’re talking about “this”, it’d be redundant. So we use ように to reach the desired “like” part of the sentence because ように doesn’t imply a location on it’s own.

5 Likes

I think EbonyMidget gave a nice explanation regarding the difference between こういう and そういう.

I would like to add that another one of the reasons is that そういう (and こういう、ああいう&どういう) can only be used to modify nouns, not with verbs.

The only way you could use something like こういう to mean the same as ように in a similiar sentence is to use こういう + ふうに, this way it can be used with verbs, but then the sentence would have to be お箸はこういうふうに使います。(It has the exact same meaning). In any case, your answer will require the ‘に’ particle at the end, as it is clear from the sentence that the grammar point you need to fill in is modifying a verb.

If the この is there and the grammar point you need to fill in the blank of is modifying a verb, your only real option will be to use ように, as far as I’m aware.

3 Likes