いつもの

Is anyone able to explain how いつもの works?

I was reading NHK easy news today and when describing the weather it was used often.
気温は沖縄では6月はいつもの年より高くて、7月と8月はいつもの年と同じか高くなりそうです。

I’ve looked into it and I think it is basically saying that the temperature will be the same as usual, or slightly hotter.

How exactly is いつもの working? いつも is like always; all the time etc. いつもの isn’t included in Bunpro. Does this mean that it’s more of a vocabulary word than a grammar point?

My understanding if helpful:

The の is used as a noun modifier. Tofugu had a pretty write up on na/no adjective guideline for noun modification (and a podcast which I didn’t listen to). To quote their takeaway:

"な is used when you want to describe a noun, and の is used when you want to label a noun".

I think some learners feel that な adjectives could be relabeled as nouns that can behave like adjectives which is a bit liberating. There is also mention how some adverbs can fall into the ‘no-adj’ category which I think is the case here.

Also in the いつも entry along with an array of expressions for いつもの

I understood the sentence as Okinawa is predicted to have a hotter June compared to a usual year and have a similar (or hotter) July and August…to what degree, I didn’t get from this context.

1 Like