くれるじゃないか?

I can’t figure out what 呼んでくれるじゃないか means here, specifically the くれるじゃないか. I tried looking this up, but I seemed to get conflicting answers. Is this a different way to say くれないか? Or is this like 呼ぶな? Or something entirely different? Thanks

Im not that good yet, but i think this is made from these 2 grammar points together.
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/てくれる
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/じゃないか

Now that i re -read it, its written じゃあないか and not じゃないか. So maybe its じゃ+あない.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s just じゃ+ない, but the じゃ is drawn out for dramatic emphasis (kinda like how you will hear ずっと as ずーーっと sometimes). Actually, there’s a section on Araki’s wikipedia page that discusses this: 荒木飛呂彦 - Wikipedia

1 Like

I think 呼んでくれる is common way to say “to call someone by their name”. For example, from the anime “Love is War”:
みんな白銀だからな 下の名前で呼んでくれないと
We're all Shirogane. You'll have to call us by our first names.

If you want a more literal translation, I see it this way:
呼ぶ - “To call”
で - “In the manner of/by means of”
くれる - “To give”
じゃないか - “Don’t (you)?”

Adding 呼ぶ + で + くれる together we get something like “To give in the manner of calling” or “To give by means of calling”. Essentially you’re giving to that person by calling out their name. So put all-together we get - “You call people’s names quite casually, don’t you?” More literally “You give to people (the people who he calls are the receiver of くれる) by means of calling them by their name, don’t you?”.

Hopefully that somewhat helps.

Edit: I was thinking about why “くれる” is used when calling someone’s name (呼んでくれる over just 呼ぶ), and I realized that calling someone by their name is somewhat of a privilege, but not only that it’s also respectful to call someone by their name rather than using any of the “you’s”. Hence, you’re giving to that person by calling their name rather than maybe being disrespectful and not calling them by their name. If someone could maybe back me up on this reasoning, that’d be great, or correct me if I’m wrong here. But I feel like this makes sense.

As for how it fits into this sentence, he’s getting a little to overly comfortable with calling people by their first name or dropping the suffix (呼び捨て); hence why he’s saying it this way - maybe even implying that he shouldn’t even being saying their name in the first place :man_shrugging:

1 Like

After some more looking around, it seems I found a consistent answer from multiple different native speakers. It would appear that てくれるじゃないか (for whatever reason) means something like “how dare you”, along the lines of よくも. どうして「てくれる」と「じゃないか」は「よくも」になるかというと分からん笑。

Yeah. I feel it’s because it’s spoken with a pretty hefty degree of sarcasm, indicated by that rhetorical じゃないか.
Thinking of Dio’s use of 気安くas “friendly” or “relaxed” here feels super sarcastic (coupled with the next few lines, “And clenching your fists with all your might!” etc.), because Jonathan is basically anything but–he’s charging in, screaming Dio’s name in anger. Of course, the other obvious implication is that Jonathan is being overfamiliar and should have some restraint and not call Dio’s name so lightly, in other words, “how dare you”