Unclear on what to do without hints

I am trying to avoid using the english hints when reviewing, however I find some questions are impossible to answer without some indication of what to do. Most questions have this, but some have insufficient direction.

Using the hint made it obvious what I needed to do, but I had no idea otherwise.

Am I missing something, or is it just a flaw I will need to deal with?

3 Likes

I feel like they should eventually address this.
Maybe replace [polite] with [polite negative]

1 Like

As the reviews get more and more complicated, I honestly can’t imagine no hints. As long as you know what the general gist of the sentence means, having hints shouldn’t hinder learning at all in my opinion.

6 Likes

“We went inside____house.”

You know, there are a couple possibilities to this sentence as well. Even in the harder grammar tests in college, there was still a list of particles at the top you could choose from. Without context from images or situations, we only have these hints to rely on, and that’s okay.

Like BORN2PEEPEE said, it shouldn’t hinder your learning. Especially if you supplement it with input from other sources, including all media.

1 Like

If you gave a native speaker a sentence that said

田中先生の宿題___, (Mr. Tanaka’s homework ____) and asked them to put in a single word answer, you would get a huge multitude of answers. Especially with short sentences.
Using the hint does not mean that you aren’t learning the grammar correctly, some things are just impossible without a hint. Well… not impossible of course, but if you guess the right answer, you’re not necessarily learning it more effectively than if you were given a hint to begin with.

I think something we should do, is have some kind of indicator for people on questions like this that are extremely hard without further context. Like a little ‘question mark’ symbol or something, that means using a hint is recommended. We could do the oppostie on questions where people definitely can solve it without the hint, and have like a stop sign or something (to let people know they should take a closer look before pressing hint).

7 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything specifically wrong with using the English hint here. I mean without it…it seems like you’ll eventually know so much grammar and so many different ways to fill in the sentence that you might spend forever typing to figure out which one fits here. When you would be speaking Japanese in real life you would probably fill your thoughts with English (ie how do I say “was not” again?) until you get so good at speaking that its all automatic. So I don’t see why using it in the reviews would be cheating or making it easier really.

2 Likes