Understanding... but not being able to produce Japanese

I’m in a bit of a strange place…

I know all kanji (yes, way more than jouyou), many thousands of words, read simple manga in Japanese regularly, etc.

But I felt that I’m not really progressing at all because I’m lacking advanced grammar (I’d say I’m around N3) and when I tried reading proper books I simply couldn’t understand a single sentence.

So, I tried to specifically focus on my grammar, as I never had any formal Japanese education before. So, I joined this website a week ago.

And… realized that I can’t produce any Japanese even for trivial N5 sentences, despite me being able to understand it perfectly.

I guess you get better at what you do, in this case understanding, but I never tried speaking or writing in Japanese. Still, my main goal is improving my understanding first and foremost.

To be honest, I’m not sure where I’m going with this post, I guess I just wanted to share. Maybe there are other people in similar situation like me :slight_smile: in which case I would appreciate your suggestions or your stories :slight_smile:

Please share your experience!

4 Likes

Hey:smiley:

I think you should try reading this:
https://community.bunpro.jp/t/can-you-use-your-studied-grammar-in-conversations/3789/5

:+1:

1 Like

same issue, i can recognize a lot of 漢字 these days but can i string it together? nope. Hope this changes soon.

3 Likes

Ok granted this thread is from 3 months ago but that’s some insane progress

6 Likes

@paberu that is quite true, even though I’m still not good when it comes to speaking - in just three months or so my Japanese improved tremendously. I can now listen to conversations in Japanese as if it’s in English. Obviously as long as it only contains grammar points and vocabulary I actually studied so far.

But it definitely goes to show that Bunpro method works like a charm! :slight_smile:
The most important thing is to study every day.

I see you are lvl 9 now, so you are doing well too, in which case please share your progress here:
https://community.bunpro.jp/t/share-your-progress-right-now/11670

4 Likes