Unsync Wanikani

Hi, I’ve just recently started with Bunpro and have kind of by accident clicked the “Sync Wanikani vocab” button in the settings but I prefer to go through the vocab in Bunpro as well. I guess there is no other way to undo this other than going through a deck’s vocab list one by one and select “remove from reviews”? I presume this will reset the status and they will be added to the next learning session with a SRS 0 level?

In resetting the vocab I’ll lose some vocab progress that I had worked through before I synched, so that’s a shame, but it’s not 1000s of words.

Or am I missing any undo sync button or a batch reset? I have almost 500 vocab that jumped to level 12.

It’s not the end of the world, but some undo option would be great (may not work though if there’s no “Wanikani sync” flag in the database).

Bunpro overall is fantastic. I’ve made more noticeable progress in just the past 2 weeks or so than in any other way I tried for Japanese learning before.

2 Likes

If you go to profile > Reset, you can reset vocab decks. Will reset all the vocab tho, not just WK.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jeppebloch . I don’t think I want to reset all, so I guess I’ll have to spend some time going through the SRS 12 ones one by one.

I also suspect there is a slight issue (in my case) on the Wanikani side. I recently reset my progress there to zero (before I joined Bunpro) because I didn’t study kanji for about 3 years, but it appears that the words that are coming in via the API key still include my previous WaniKani progress. I definitely find kanji marked as SRS 12 in Bunpro that I haven’t seen yet in my Wanikani rerun.

I reset some 500 vocabs now, it didn’t take too long.

I lost some previous vocab progress and gained too much XP (this did not go down), but not too tragic relatively early in my study.

Well, it turns out “remove from reviews” doesn’t actually reset the SRS level—which explains why my XP didn’t go down. I could go through 500 word pages and reset each word individually, but I’m not keen on doing that, it’d take forever.

So either I reset the entire deck and have to work my way through it again or there’s still some other way to do a bulk action that I haven’t found yet.

Any suggestions are welcome.

1 Like

Since previously I had removed the WaniKani synched SRS 13 vocab from the reviews they no longer show the golden SRS 13 mark. However, when I do new vocab lessons that mark appears again. So now, after each lesson, I go through the deck and reset the newly marked SRS 13 vocabs which will add them to the next review at SRS 0. It’s a bit tedious, but it wouldn’t take too long to get all WaniKani synched vocab out of SRS 13.

I don’t think there’s an easier way since I don’t want to reset the entire deck.

I will certainly not press that WaniKani sync button any more.

1 Like