Update 12/11

Changes

Grammar Popout Styling

• The information and styling of the grammar popout has been changed. It now includes

• Better meaning and caution info presentation
    • JLPT level and Lesson location info
    • Writeup info (where applicable)

In the next patch we intend to make the writeup information collapsed by default, but easily toggled with a button, to take up less space

There is a lot of information we could display here. We would love to hear your thoughts on the kind of information you are looking for when you use this feature in while studying.

Review Grammar Point Info

• The “Show Grammar Info” button in reviews now uses the new grammar point styling. You now have access to information like writeups and grammar details, as well as your progress and the new audio player.

• This change gives you full access to the grammar point and all of it’s information unlike the old view which had a limited amount on display. However, should you want to open it for later reference, there is a “View Grammar” button in the action box that will open it in a new tab.

Admin Changes

• While not directly impacting your use of the site, we made a lot of important additions and changes on the admin side to help us better fine tune grammar and more optimally handle feedback going forward.

New Stuff

Male Audio

• @Fuga, the Native Japanese Content Lead for the team has recorded audio for all of the N5 example sentences.

• So far we have uploaded them for just the grammar in Lesson 1. We will continue to work to get all of the new audio uploaded for you over the weekend.

• The male audio can be toggled on (where applicable) with the toggle next to the “Slow” option in the media bar at the top of examples.

• Note: Some sentences don’t have male audio but do have female audio and a very small handful of sentences have just Fuga’s audio. In either case, the audio will still play but this will automatically change the toggle to let you know one or the other isn’t there yet. This should only be an issue in the short term as we are currently working to rerecord the N5 female audio as well.

Grammar Point Details

• We have expanded upon the information available in the “Details” section of each grammar point. The most recent update includes “Part of Speech” and “Word Type” in addition to the “Register” information. It is available in both English and Japanese.

Currently only N5 grammar have all of these data points but we will fill out upper level grammar in the near future.

As always, we love to hear your thoughts about each update. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any suggestions or ideas on how we can improve these features or other parts of the site.

Happy studying!

39 Likes

Thanks for the update.

Will we get audio files from Fuga like we do for Haruna ones to be able to sideload for off-site listening too, or that’s only going to be an @Asher and Haruna exclusive?

7 Likes

Excellent update. This is the one I’ve been waiting for since the grammar pages were updated. No more clicking to get to another page to see the updated grammar page.

8 Likes

Hi! I haven’t been through all the changes but it seems great. I really like the added details, especially the ‘part of speech’.

For sentences where several audios are available being able to have either version selected randomly while playing could help improve our oral comprehension. Thanks @Fuga for the recordings, and to all the team for these new updates.

5 Likes

The “Show Grammar Info” button seems to be completely gone now - I’ve checked both FF & Chrome, on Windows. The code is there but greyed out, and clicking “F” does nothing

4 Likes

We can definitely make them available for you to sideload for off-site listening.

@jmadsen It should be fixed. It was an issue with Classic theme. In general we aren’t supporting Classic anymore as it has been sunset, but we aren’t trying to make it completely unusable either.

6 Likes

I hope you’re not going to throw out the old recordings even if they may be inferior in some ways. Like in real life there are people who speak more clearly and less clearly, faster and slower, I think it would be best to have access to all of them like on forvo.com for example. Nobody wants to get into not-so-uncommon the situation where you can only understand your teacher and nobody else.

6 Likes

I think I’ve been having the same exact problem. Have you figured out a solution? I also noticed that the text input field doesn’t always go green, even if I enter the correct answer.

4 Likes

I would love this! I do have all of Haruna’s sentences (up to N3) in my immersion loop, would love some extra ones ^^

Great update as always!

4 Likes

All of the N5 audio has been uploaded. Enjoy!

7 Likes

i absolutely love that during the reviews you can see the other examples sentences in the same fashion as when browsing grammar points. now i can dig right into errors.

just one wish: a hotkey that repeats the last played sentence in the example tab. like “p” is already for the reviewing sentence. how about “o”?

4 Likes

The “Casual/Polite” switch in the new grammar info section doesn’t work at all (Firefox). It works perfectly on a grammar point page though.

2 Likes

I have only been able to reproduce it once the failing. Not sure if related, I got this error in the console:

Error: Promised response from onMessage listener went out of scope 4 [common.js:4:491]

The grammar point that failed for me was:
N4 Lesson 4: 6/16
たがる

2 Likes

Thank you so much for constantly working on improving bunpro. the last few changes you made in particular I’m really enjoying.

I was wondering if there’s any clever way to bring back the ‘similar grammar’ info that used to be present? I know that it can get quite confusing (which might be why it was removed?) and convoluted, but particularly for grammar points that only differ in register/formality usage, having a way to see how they relate/differ would be really helpful. I always appreciated the feature before it was removed (or moved somewhere else? Not sure).

Anyway, regardless, I’m really enjoying all the changes and updates, improving every time, so thank you!

6 Likes

There is the related grammar section on the grammar point page

Is that what you are looking for?

3 Likes

Something I noticed in lessons today was the fact that the left/right arrow keys weren’t working to navigate between lesson sections. Was this an intentional change?

3 Likes

We are aware of this and should have it fixed by end of day today.

4 Likes

Wow, I have a bonus report button!
It appears while doing SRS0 reviews for freshly studied grammar points.

5 Likes

At Bunpro, we don’t skimp on report buttons! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Kind of, yes. Thanks for pointing that out, never even noticed that!

Is that also part of the info presented during ‘study’ and ‘review’? I’ve not seen them there and that’s where I would actively want to compare.
Like, when I enter the wrong grammar point, a link to a general comparison section of some kind would be really helpful. Or just a quick note on the info itself as to how it differs from this other grammar with similar usage.
I know the forum has loads of comparison threads, but I remember in the past that some grammar points specifically mentioned something along the lines of ‘this is how it’s different from this other grammar point’.

Sorry if I’m completely confusing here, this is just something that pops into my head every once in a while when I do reviews or lessons in particular.

2 Likes