る - Verbs (negative-past tense) vs. う - Verbs (negative-past tense)

Having a real tough time with these two lessons

The first lesson covers る verbs, but the second lesson also has る verbs in it. I just got this one wrong

and I don’t know why it is wrong. going by how 座る is conjugated in the う - Verbs lesson, shouldn’t that be correct?

I’m sure I am missing something here, just don’t know what.

EDIT: Another one

Again, I’m sure I did something wrong. I just don’t know how that is wrong when it is the conjugation used for る - Verbs (negative-past tense).

For the first one:

教える(おしえろ)is an ichidan verb (る verb), so you don’t conjugate it with ~らない. For る verb conjugation, the る is dropped and you replace it with the correct conjugate (in this case, 教えない)

For this particular answer, for example, you take the stem 教え, drop the る, and replace with ない, to form the negative 教えない. Then, to make it past tense, conjugate the ない with the かった form, so you are left with 教えなかった or 教えませんでした depending on the level of formality.

For the 2nd one:

帰る(かえる) is a godan verb (う verb), so in this case you do conjugate it with ~らない. For う verbs, the final okurigana is replaced with the required variant depending on the conjugation. For the negative, you either replace る with ら for ~らない or り for ~りません.

This particular verb is a trap because it ends with る but is not an ichidan verb (る verb), so you have to memorize it as an exception. This one conjugates as shown above into 帰らなかった or 帰りませんでした for the past negative depending on formality.

A trick I use to remember that 帰る is a godan verb is that I’m sure you’ve heard someone say かえります before. If you say it in your head, you can see that the ます at the end has an り attached as「~ります」which tells you it isn’t an ichidan verb because otherwise you would have a perfect「~ます」at the end.

So if I’m understanding this correctly, my hang-up is that I’m seeing all verbs ending in る as る verbs despite the fact that there are some that aren’t actually る verbs?

So 帰る sounds like one of them. The “Details” on the う - Verbs (negative-past tense) page also shows 座る, meaning that would be another る verb that isn’t actually a る verb, correct?

Did I miss a lesson where it went over verbs that end in る that aren’t actually る verbs? Wouldn’t surprise me if I did.

EDIT: Looks like 知る is another one, just got that wrong.

1 Like

I don’t think they ever list all the exceptions, you pretty much just have to know that they are not actually る verbs.

This page is a good read on the two types, and they link you to jisho.org which is a good resource for figuring out if a new verb you come across is an ichidan or godan verb. After a while you will know most of the common ones.

1 Like

usually える・いる verbs are ichidan verbs (る verbs), the rest of る verbs are godan verbs

貼る 「はる」ends with ある therefore is a godan.

That is the easy part, then there a few exception that you should remember, 帰る is one of them.

切る「きる」this is a godan verb, the formal past is 切りました
着る「きる」this is an ichidan verb, the formal past is 着ました

As you can see, there is no rule, the only solution is to memorize them.

Verb Basics – Learn Japanese At the end of this page there is a list with a few of them

2 Likes

looks like a lot to look over. Guess I got some reading to do, thanks. And thanks @xgc1986 as well.

1 Like

usually える・ある verbs are ichidan verbs (る verbs), the rest of る verbs are godan verbs

Typo here, they’re all える and いる. There’s also a small class of slightly irregular verbs that end in ある (like なさる - なさます), but those are godan.

2 Likes