Vocab recommendations

The way Bunpro presents vocab isn’t working for me. I get the importance of understanding nuance, but I’d like a chance to digest the basic meaning of a word before being introduced to all the different ways it could be translated.

I use WaniKani for kanji, and that’s okay for vocab. But most of those words are meant to complement the kanji lessons. So it’s missing some essential stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations for vocab resources that have similarly structured lessons? Thanks :slight_smile:

Reading + anki yomitan sounds like a plan for me -_-

2 Likes

The structure is not completely similar, and there are no lessons per se, but perhaps you could try JPDB’s free version.

• You can easily create a custom deck of top X words to cover that missing essential stuff, and then add/remove words as needed.
  • You can select which word definitions you want to see. By default only more frequent meanings are shown and rare ones are hidden.
  • A random sentence is picked for each review from what looks like various web novels.

There are no fill-in reviews, only self-graded recognition of either word on its own or word within a sentence.