Vocabulary

When we first announced the vocab, making each word searchable was going to be the first step toward making those words studyable asap. We haven’t really figured out how to iterate this quite yet, but something along the lines of clicking ‘study’ on any particular word that you encounter anywhere on the site would potentially send it to the front of the current vocab deck you are doing, or to the front of some special deck that would get constructed on the fly with words that you encounter while not actively studying vocab.

There are many things that we are planning on doing on the vocabulary front, but they all require significant time. Among those are the feature I mentioned above, adding more datapoints to cards (frequency etc), tagging words by category (nature, politics, family, etc), user decks, sharing of user decks, and many more.

When and in what order many of these features will be getting added, if they do end up getting added, will be after we have completely added the core 20/25k words to our vocab database. This doesn’t mean we will have decks for all of those words straight away, just that they will all be searchable should they appear on the site somewhere/will be available in the future for users to put in their own decks.

Vocab as it currently is is super super beta in that the vision we have for it in the future is quite different to what it looks like now.

3 Likes

This

3 Likes

Some of them can; I’ve successfully added several words. However, it seems that the majority of words I try to add do not let me.

Is this because linking the words is a work-in-progress? Or am I missing something?

1 Like

Shuffled and/or wanikani order would be nice.

I made the mistake of trying to import my wanikani progress so I could find them in the list and reset them to zero SRS. Couldn’t find them all and had to reset.