こと vs ということ

What is the difference between just こと and ということ? For example, this this Bunpro sentence:

僕は日本に絶対行くということを分かってほしい。

I want you to understand that I will definitely be going to Japan. [phrase to noun]

2 Likes

First of all, short introduction:

So, there are cases where という is necessary, and when it is optional.

Necessary:

• when clause before it is a quotation
    車だよということ - since there is final particle we know it is a quotation (よ in this case, but だろう、でしょう、わ、ぞ、な etc are included)
    車を貸して(ください this is not said)ということsomethingsomething - unfinished sentence also points a quotation

Optional (depends on speaker’s/writer’s preference):

• when clause has new information and speaker wants to emphasize it (to speaker/ interlocutor)
    A: 日本語では相槌を打つということがとても大切ですよ。
    B:そうですか。

A: In Japanese, using aiduchi is important.
B: Is that so?
(:wink:)

Context: A and B are talking about teaching Japanese, A shares new information “using aiduchi” (which can be new for A(since he might have learned it second ago)/unknown to B/both).

• contrastive to some other information:
    犬が好きなAさん: 犬が大好き!かわいいわよ!
    犬が嫌いなBさん: まあ、犬は臭い匂いがするってことだけ思い浮かぶわ。
    Dog loving A: I love dags. They are cutee!
    Dog hating B: Well, when it comes to dags, the only thing that comes to my mind is that they have an unpleasant smell.

The sweetness of dogs is contrasted with the clause about their bad smell.
(I am dog person myself :+1:)

• Speaker/writer wants to put some distance beetween him/her and information in ということ.
  1. when information is a hearsay
  2. he/she is not convienced that information is true
  3. he/she does not agree with the information

Example for three above:
マグロは寝ながら泳ぐということをよく耳にする。果たしてそれは本当なのでしょうか。
I often hear that tuna swim while sleeping. I wonder if that is really the case?

• When sentence is grammatically complicated/long.

You will see ということ (and こと) most often with verbs that express communication like 言える、書く and verbs that express though process and believing: 考える、思う、理解する、信じる etc.

4 Likes