果たして vs やっぱり

Specifically for sentences expressing a result, like in the following

ゆきさんとともこさんはながあいだ、付きつきあっていた。たして、かれらは結婚けっこんした。

In the lesson it also says the following “Coming from the base meaning of たす ‘to come to fruition’, たして can be thought of as similar to ‘in the end’. If using this translation to memorize たして, it should also be noted that the nuance of what happens ‘in the end’ is almost always something that the speaker either expected or assumed would happen in the first place.”

This seems to be extremely similar to やっぱり in my mind, where you are expressing the result and doing so as something that one had expected one way or another from the start. I find it interesting that it’s not listed as a synonym either, which tells me maybe I am missing a key piece here.

How do you guys think of the terms and separate them in your head? Do you think in usage they can be thought of as the same or very similar? Any advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

In this situation I think of them as interchangeable, but I’m not sure if it would always be that way. I’ll let others reply, so I’m simply subscribing for now.

By the way, I generally prefer the most literal translations whenever possible since they give you the closest meaning to what the Japanese is saying. In the case of 果たして I think of the suggested meaning of “In the end” given by the BunPro team.

1 Like