WaniKani API

Loving this powerful app. Great visual and educational design.

I just added my WaniKani API in my settings (at least I think I did) and I’m not noticing any difference. I thought that it would turn off the furigana on words that I can read, but all kanji appear to have furigana.

What is this feature supposed to do and how do I know I’ve set it up correctly, please?

Hey rigel! I am in the same boat as you and this is what I think is going on. It is a manual sync with WaniKani that I THINK makes it so Furigana on items you’ve gone through does not appear with Furigana during reviews.

I’ve played with this and my guess is…

• You need to go into settings and manually click for it to sync. I initially thought it was set up but when I went and clicked it I went from lvl2 to 20 in Bunpro so clearly something happened haha. I asked for clarification in my own mini thread if the sync can be automated, but I see you had a similar query so figured I’d pop in here as well.
  • I don’t know the exact parameters but I guess a certain stage has to be hit on an item in WK before Bunpro would remove the Furigana. I am guessing it is likely guru or enlightened. Reason being I am new in both services so I don’t have any burned items in WK, but clicking sync definitely removed some of the furigana for verbs I knew in Bunpro.
  • I noticed there is a global remove furigana option or you can click on it in a review and manually toggle that example on or off in reviews.

Hope this helps and welcome to Bunpro as a fellow newbie!

P.S. I’ve been playing around in Bunpro and highly recommend opting into the beta options as I’ve heard from others the “decks” feature and dialect trainings are super cool features hidden under those beta settings.

2 Likes

Thanks so much taking the time to write these tips. I didn’t realize that you had to manually sync WaniKani after entering your API token. I immediately saw the change in level, and now I’m noticing the furigana disappearing from words that I know. (Had to take a break because work was nuts.)

Also, great advice on unlocking the beta features. I’m not sure if this is a result of the new beta features, but I was just able to change the color scheme to be friendly to color-blind people. It used to be frustrating, because it was hard for me to tell when I was correct or incorrect. Nice feature. Thanks again.

1 Like

Glad the tips were helpful.

I ended up finding out there is no auto synchronize option, so I guess a good practice would be to click the sync every time you get a WK level up.

Also my new fav setting is that you can customize your pathing to a grammar textbook instead of the default Bunpro paths. It is super helpful for me to do that since I have a paper copy of the tae kim book, and this way I can juggle between the two resources. Also if you ever change your “path” you still get credit for the covered topics from the old path in the new path.

Good luck on your studying!