And now…back to your regularly scheduled programming.
A change in approach:
- る and う verbs have been changed to remove the negative conjugations.
- Verb[ない] which previously covered negative conjugations for る and う verbs has been split into one for each respective type. るVerb[ない] & うVerb[ない]
Those changes continues our current efforts to iron out existing grammar. We will continue through N5 and move onto N4. Our goal is to split up grammar that should be split and create new grammar for missing points.
A good example of this was with と in N5. It included both “and” and “with” and while one might say 先生と食べる could be “I eat with sensei” or “Sensei and I eat”, within our new methodology framework, we are putting emphasis on separating grammar where justified to increase your exposure and to allow us to provide more sentences with a wider range of contexts for any single grammar point.
- There are 37 grammar points left for N1.
- The existing ones have been spread out to account for a fewer number than estimated.
- 折には & に至っても have swapped levels.
N1 Lesson 7
ないまでも - may not … but (at least), even though not, even if not
をよそに - ignoring, disregarding, despite
まじき - unbecoming of, unworthy of, not proper for, should not, must not, cannot
の至り - utmost, height of, extreme, heartiest, such a, very, really, completely, deeply
に恥じない - lives up to, truly to …’s name, worthy of, not dishonor, not putting to shame, measure to
This week we don’t have new grammar for you.
Instead, we focused on finishing and releasing N4 reading passages. There are 30 new reading passages, 3 for each lesson.
We will bring you your regularly scheduled new grammar release new week.
びる - -like, looking, feeling, with an air of, to become
ばこそ - precisely because, only because, because, due to
差し支え - may, is bit a bother if, do you mind if, is it a problem if
には及ばない① - there is no need to, it is fine if you don’t, unnecessary
に即して - inline with, based on, in accordance with
Go get 'em!
Going forward we will be releasing grammar weekly rather than letting it accumulate or waiting for a specific batch/group to be ready. We will be doing this whether we have only one grammar point to add or a handful.
Our reasons for this are two fold:
- Some grammar points are more difficult than others, whether due to the time it takes to come up with sentences that use the grammar, or due to the complexity/multitude of possible answers that need to be accounted for. Those and other factors impact the overall time it takes to release the grammar.
- We want to be as transparent as possible going forward, to hold us accountable as well as to make it clear what you can expect from us on a regular basis.
１～たりとも～ない - not even one, not a single, no (at all)
ったらない/といったらない - cannot tell/describe/say/express how, words cannot express, too … for words, extremely
に照らして/に照らすと - in light of, based on, according to, referencing, comparing against, in view of
とあれば - (emphatic) if, if it is the case that, as (you wish)
さぞ - you must be very, how … you must be, I dare to say, I am sure/certain that you must be very