What is the difference between てくる and てきて?

curious

what are the differences and nuances between these two expressions?

1 Like

来る means “to come”

てくる means that something has come to be. For example, “come to be good at Japanese” 日本語を上手になってくる

てきて is probably the て form of てくる It would link the “come to be” to another verb in the sentence.

I hope I helped a bit, however if you have more questions, if you can provide a bit more context, like “What do these mean in this situation/sentence/ regarding this grammar part” etc. it would help answer the question more in depth!

good luck!

1 Like

It really depends on the context. In addition to what @superelf94 has said, てきて could also be てくる using this conjugation, which would be translated as ‘please come with (please bring----with you)’.
Example:薬局から薬もらってきて。‘Can you please go get me medicine from the pharmacy? (Can you please go to the pharmacy and come back with my medicine?)’

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

so this example sentence 今日も宿題を持ってくるのを忘れた。

translate to - I forgot to bring my homework today too

while this one すぐ帰ってきてね。

translate to - come back home soon!

are these two expressions interchangeable?

for example
今日も宿題を持ってきてのを忘れた。
or
すぐ帰ってくるね。

Those two are not interchangeable because the て used in 〜きてね is てください, minus the ください. This means that 今日も宿題を持ってきてのを忘れた。translates as ‘I forgot to please bring my homework today again’, and it sounds as unnatural in Japanese as it does in English. However すぐ帰ってくるね, works because it uses the non-conjugated form of 〜てくる.

I hope that answers your question!

1 Like