What is the meaning of そう in this sentence?

This is a sentence 新完全マスターたN2語彙. The sentence is meant to teach the reader this use of そう, but I don’t get it. It says, 証拠がこれだけあるのだから、犯人が逮捕される日もそう遠くないだろう。Thanks

Edit: Sorry, everyone! I made a typo in the sentence. It’s fixed now.

I think そう can mean easy in this case, it was explained to me that: it’s just like that → it’s just a small thing → easy.

Will this much evidence, the day of catching the culprit is easy/not far away.

1 Like

I’m confused by why this would mean the day when they catch the criminal is not far away. I can find sentences like this “Siri、アレクサ、Google Home、それに似た製品がほとんどの家で使われる日もそう遠くはないでしょう。” which is translated as " Very soon most homes will have Siri, Alexa, Google Home or similar." More here: 日もそう遠く – 英語への翻訳 – 日本語の例文 | Reverso Context.

Surely if a negation like 日もそう遠く*はない means that something will happen soon, then 日もそうとおくなる would mean the day when they can catch the criminal is further away.

1 Like

I misread the とおくなる as と-おくなる. You are probably right.

For reference, here’s the example of そう as easy that I got back then: 明らか: 事柄がはっきりしていて、だれにもそうだと知れるさま. There’s a だ before と that I forgot.

My first impression reading this is that it is just basically the opposite of そうもない。そうもない implies that the presented situation is not really feasible/conceivable/hard to imagine.

So in the case of (situation)もそう(result) - I would say ‘it is feasible/easy to imagine/we can assume’ would be a good translation.

Because we only have this small amount of evidence to go off, we can assume that apprehending the criminal will take a while.

1 Like

Are you sure that’s correct? It’s not 遠くない? (I don’t have the 語彙 volumes myself…)

My problem with なる is that the だけ might be a trap. I think this これだけ means “this much” (implying a large amount).

The そう is the “like that (close)” from the こう・そう・ああ・どう group of adverbs.

2 Likes

My partner agrees with this, she said that she thinks that なる should be ない.

The これだけ should imply a large amount. If it was a small amount これだけしかない would be more natural.

So I guess the original sentence has a typo, or just was not written correctly when posted here.

1 Like

You are correct. I made a mistake. It’s fixed now.