What time zone is BunPro in?

Quick question!

It’s 8:30am here in Japan, I’ve just done a BunPro review and my study streak didn’t go up, so I just want to know after what time I should do my reviews to keep my streak?

The same question goes for the forum. I’ve been visiting every day but last week my visits went down to 6 from 7. So what time zone does Discourse run from?

Thanks in advance

4 Likes

Haven’t bothered to figure out the time zone, but on the stats page, reviews started counting towards 4月19日 as of 2 hours, 17 minutes ago.

2 Likes

This happened to me too and I’ve figured out a new day starts at 9:00am on BP in Japan’s time zone.

3 Likes

That’s lovely.

So what about the forum? Anyone know?

1 Like

The forum should be UTC as well (also 9am in Japan)

1 Like

Yep, I noticed the same thing this morning. I live in USA (Pacific time zone), it is 6am and the study streak did not go up from yesterday. Maybe they are using Japan time.

1 Like

there is a setting that allows you to set that timezone.

1 Like

Do you guys know if there is way to recalculate your streak? I just realized this is why I had a random day in December that it said I didn’t do my reviews. Just now changed my time zone to the correct one and the calendar on the stats page says I reviewed every day since end of September, but my streak didn’t change back.

I wasn’t going to worry about it because I assumed I must have forgotten that day, but now I know I actually did do my reviews I kinda want my streak back :pensive:

2 Likes

There’s a button for that on https://bunpro.jp/user/profile/reset

4 Likes

Thanks, I was looking in the wrong place. Jokes on me though because apparently I didn’t do my reviews this past Monday, which is weird.

oh, well :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hmm… I probably need to explain myself :joy:

“Like” is for:

Not for:

xD

Glad you don’t care too much. My wife dropped Spanish after losing 70+ streak on Duolingo 0_o

2 Likes

I’m much more invested in my 234 day Anki streak lol (humble brag)

3 Likes

0_o

How many hours in total? I got only 14 days streak, but in total 250h in anki alone…

I am so glad I got some advices how to do stuff faster in anki xD

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I checked the right part, but 345h I think? Makes sense. I’m currently aiming for less than an hour a day, but this summer I spent a lot of time reviewing old material on Anki.

2 Likes

A couple of months ago I lost my Anki streak and then I was demotivated for a week :joy:
Started from scratch and am currently back at 175.
I just know I’m going to forget one day and then I’ll be sad again :laughing: Even though it really does not matter at all.
Brains are weird.

3 Likes

I live in fear of that day. Just gotta keep on keepin on.
I actually have an alarm set so I do my Anki at the same time each day.

3 Likes

To be honest I consider that streak thing to be toxic. Gamification is fun and stuff but the brain needs day or two from time to time to forget about Japanese, consolidate data, and rest. I used to not really believe it (“resting is for weaklings” xD), but recently I was proven wrong on that.

I like pushing myself when I am motivated, but after almost 1,5 month of huge effort with Japanese I started to feel that Japanese is getting harder and harder, and less and less “meaningful” to me. I decided to rest for two days without even touching one card in Anki or bunpro and that feeling disappear completely. It is even more enjoyable than it was during first week (and it should be that way: a can read a little bit more now).

It would be nice if they would encourage taking breaks. Something like: to get 7 point of streak you need 35 or more reviews in a week but you can’t miss more than 3 days. And if you give yourself 36h break after at least 5 days you get 2 point extra for that break.

That would be more sane approach. I think many websites adopted that streak system after success of duolingo, but let’s be real here: duolingo is not designed to help with learning (they made even Esperanto hard…), but to keep people for ads… It is a facebook or twitter of language learning.

1 Like

You got a source for that? Learning isn’t sports, I don’t really see how doing a little bit every day would be harmful as long as you’re not doing too much.

I like the streak thing because it keeps up the habit.
Sometimes when I don’t feel like doing Japanese stuff I only do like 10 reviews and call it a day. And then I get back to it for real on the next day, or the day after. Point is I do get back to it eventually because I still have the habit of at least starting every single day.

On the other hand, when I don’t do at least a little bit every day, it’s harder for me to start again. That’s not just the case for Japanese, it’s a general thing.
After all it’s generally said that to build a habit, you should start out with doing just a small amount (of whatever you’re trying to do more of), but to do it everyday. Keep the momentum going.

(I don’t spend much time on Anki anyway even when I do all my reviews; it only takes me 5-20 minutes. I don’t think I’m frying my brain with that :joy:
Whether or not someone likes the streak system or not is up to the individual, but I think calling it toxic is a little harsh :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just my own experience and some random pieces of info from sources I can’t recall. But google gave me this as first link after asking if I am insane:

I experienced the same effect with learning programming, so it looks like something universal.

I know that good habit are good, but having a break once in a while looks like one of those habit :hugs:

I believe that effect disappear when you can actually use the language, and without studying it. Like taking break from learning Japanese for 2 days, and just watch some anime or read a book in Japanese. Right now I am writing in foreign to me language but I would not consider it learning.

It seems to works similar to sleeping. But with hard task you sometimes need more break to let you brain do the magic.

Before a break it was taking me about 1h to do reviews. After 2 days of rest I managed to do all from 2,5 days (I was to tired to even finish reviews on last day before a break) in about 30 min…

2 Likes

Me too. Some days I only do one of my Anki decks if I’m feeling burnt out. It’s good to keep up the habit.

I have a habit tracker app that lets you do things like that. Say for example, you keep your streak if you do it at least 5 times in 7 days. I could definitely see that working better for some people.

edit
Ah, I just realized you said ‘encourage’ taking breaks. This app just doesn’t penalize them. Its a step in the right direction though.

3 Likes