What TTS service does BunPro use?

I recently realized BunPro allows for example sentences to be read out load. I assume the recordings are generated via TTS. If that’s the case, what’s the service being used?

3 Likes

Nevermind, it says: “Digital media voiced and recorded by Haruna Oka”. That’s why it sounded so impressively natural…! :smiley:

8 Likes

They actually use rabbits to do their voices. It’s quite impressive.

9 Likes

Those are the dulcet tones of BunPro’s very own Haruna san. As I’ve heard it a lot only in the context of doing BP reviews, I think I’d find it a very weird experience to ever speak to her to person, a bit like meeting a celebrity I guess. I had the same when I met a colleague with whom I zoomed with for 2 years before we met in person.

5 Likes

Actually “only” the grammar lesson’s sentences are human voiced.
By the way I’m wondering if the male voice actor is a native speaker. It sometimes sounds weird to my beginner’s ears.

Exemple sentences for vocab decks are TTS and still a bit off now and then, but it’s a work in progress.

3 Likes

It’s a program called Haruna, a very advanced AI, currently not available to the public, developed in Japan. Very few people can see it in action, and it probably comes with a very expensive monthly fee. They also use it to generate some practice content here in the forum for free!

You can also interact with her language model by invoking @ Haru, as of late, there’s no increased subscription cost for doing so. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

Haruna does most of the audio for grammar! However we are looking more into AI in the future, as it is starting to get more and more ridiculously real. A good example is Elevenlabs. If you put Japanese text into some of those voices it’s like ‘whoa, this isn’t a person??’ :flushed:

I completely understand the ‘but it’s AI’ argument, but once it’s perfect, it’s perfect.

4 Likes