What type of grammar do you always get stuck on?

I was just curious what type of grammar patterns are the most stubbornly difficult for everyone out there, feel free to go into as much / little detail as you want.

For me personally it has to be the double negations for “must do” and the like, it’s the one type of grammar that I can and do understand if I take the time, but throw it at me without the proper time to progress things and my brain just won’t understand it right. I’ve been hoping that I would internalize this by now, but it just seems to allude me no matter how many times I read up on it :stuck_out_tongue:

Especially the more casual forms like なくちゃ and なきゃor with the とconditional by itself implying the second negative… Just :exploding_head:

8 Likes

Worst ones for me are the ones that resemble tongue twisters

冷蔵庫れいぞうこ やしておいていたコーラをふたつください。

I’m here for grammar, not tongue twisters.

anime-bleh

2 Likes

Right now I’m kind of struggling with the multitude of なる related grammar points (ことになる, ことになっている, となっている). The english translations really trip me up so I need to think about the state change that is happening, when it happens, if it still is relevant to the present, and if it has finished changing.

2 Likes

Damn, I definitely relate for the “must do” forms.

For me it is the Keigo (so typical), I am just starting not to mix up the humble and honorific forms.
Also, you can bet that when I finally get a conjugation right such as お/ご…になる, I am actually wrong because it was an exception verb such as to be, to go, to see, etc.

But at least Wanikani helps with those!

3 Likes

Oh yes, it took me a week to get comfortable with these ‘must’ grammar points. What I stumble upon now is how different grammar points use な、の、だ (or sometimes nothing at all!)with nouns and na-adjectives. Is there some sort of pattern or do you just memorize these? I would be happy to hear your experience:).

2 Likes

Whenever there is a る verb and I have to figure out if it is ichidan or godan. I’m getting better at figuring it out but I still get them wrong occasionally.

2 Likes

It’s all kinds of verbs conjugation. For me it’s the primary cause of incorrect answers in every grammar point that involves verbs in one way or another.

3 Likes

Thankfully this site will have you do it a billion times, so you should get the hang of it eventually.

3 Likes

trying to differenciate TE form in 入る and 入れる and how to read them. It’s silly I know but to this day when reading nhk news easy I stop for a moment.

2 Likes

I still have a hard time with it sometimes :joy:

2 Likes