What's with the lesson ordering?

Hi. How does Bunpro select which order lessons come in?

I ask because a few days ago I got the Verb[た] + Noun | Japanese Grammar SRS grammar point, which uses the verb[ta] form, and now I am getting る - Verbs[た] | Japanese Grammar SRS which explains what the ta form is for ichidan verbs.

This seems like pretty backwards ordering. Ideally (for me), there would be a lock to prevent you from getting lessons that use the ta form before you have gotten those items to a decent SRS level.

3 Likes

@Harald1
Hey :slight_smile:

The Verb past form is taught earlier (lesson 4) than Verb[た] + Noun (lesson 6), however, we have done some changes (for example removed verb[た] grammar point and replaced it with two separate past form grammar points for るverbs (ichidan verbs) and うverbs (godan verbs)).

It confused the teaching algorithm since it teaches you the earliest grammar point you haven’t learned. You were probably at lesson 6 (seeing that you have learned Verb[た] + Noun) when the algorithm started searching for new lessons for you and it noticed newly added grammar points that you haven’t learned at lesson 4 and presented them to you instead of the grammar points that would normally come after the Verb[た] + Noun and this is why it looked like you learned Verb[た] + Noun before verb past form.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Cheers!

6 Likes