Which frequency category for manga/games?

I prefer going by frequency and doing all levels of vocab at once, since there’s some really vital stuff even in N1 and some very situational stuff in earlier levels.
Since there’s no dedicated category for either manga or games, I’m curious which of those we do have would closest match either. Probably doesn’t make much difference, but still :grin:

Apologies if this has been asked before (I did a cursory search) or is in the wrong category.

A̶l̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶t̶e̶ t̶i̶t̶l̶e̶:̶ P̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ a̶d̶d̶ f̶r̶e̶q̶u̶e̶n̶c̶y̶ r̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ f̶o̶r̶ m̶a̶n̶g̶a̶ a̶n̶d̶ g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ :̶p̶

1 Like

Depending on which kind of games you’re playing, I’d say anime or maybe novels would be the closest match!

Yeah, videogame vocabulary is going to vary wildly depending on the kind of videogame it is. JRPGs like Dragon Quest are going to have more classical fantasy related vocab, so any anime/novel set in a similar setting is going to give you the most commonly used words (magic, wizard, spell, kingdom and so on).

Meanwhile the first couple of lines of dialogue in Final Fantasy VII, still an JRPG are going to mention stuff like eco-terrorism, (magical) nuclear reactors, and bombs, so paradoxically grabbing some urban fantasy or post-apocalyptic novel is going to give you vocabulary you are more likely to encounter there.

EDIT: I’m not sure how it would be possible to make a frequency list of videogames in general otherwise.

JPDB has vocab decks for some videogames, you could try adding a couple of those to a single custom deck and sorting by frequency in all those

1 Like

I was thinking about that with JPDB, which I believe you can use for frequency ranking in something like Yomichan. IDK how accurate that is though, or what the sample size is.

Anime was my first thought too, but then I thought maybe novel is better since not all games are gonna be just dialog, whereas practically all anime is :thinking:

I unfortunately don’t have the link to it right now, but I remember there being an excel spreadsheet of both games and anime with some sort of difficulty metric and everything in the list had an associated vocab deck.

When I’ve got some time, I might go hunting for it, but perhps somebody else here on the forums knows what I’m talking about and could point you towards it. Sounds like what you’re trying to find, although in this case not every game you are going to want to play is necessarily going to be on the list.

I couldn’t help myself: Jo-Mako's Japanese Guide - Readability List

I can’t remember if this is exactly what I looked at before, but it’s at the least very similar. Also not everything has an accompanying deck but lots do

5 Likes