Which "path" did you pick? Or none at all?

I mainly use the Bunpro order because the example sentences for every grammar point are written so that they include examples of previously learned grammar points too. But that won’t work if you “skip ahead”.

For example, say I happen to know an N2 grammar point but my overall level is N5. If I add the N2 grammar point to my reviews, the example sentences I’ll be getting will include various N4 and N3 grammar points which I won’t understand! So I’ll be unable to comprehend the examples without help and will thus miss out on one of Bunpro’s coolest features.

That said, because I’ve picked up various grammar points from various sources outside of Bunpro, I do find it beneficial to jump around and add those to my reviews whenever possible (so I’ll be able to practice them). But whenever I do that, I first read all of the example sentences to make sure that I can understand them (meaning they must not include too much “advanced” grammar). If I can’t, I bookmark the grammar point but don’t add it to my reviews.

26 Likes

This is a really good point.

Back when I was adding new grammar on a regular basis, I always handpicked whatever seemed to be the easiest 2-3 grammar points each and every day.

This was a super effective approach for me because even when I was nearing the end and only had a small pool of new grammar to choose from, each point still only felt like a simple baby step.

12 Likes

I went with bunpro’s order at the start when I was adding grammar points quickly that I was already supposed to know (I found bunpro too late). After that I picked easy and/or interesting grammar points by hand until I ran out of both.

I think bunpro’s order is a good idea if you’re learning these grammar points for the first time; that just wasn’t the case for me. I’m the type who reads dictionaries from front to back so I had seen most of the grammar on bunpro before but just hadn’t made an effort to learn it.

3 Likes

I’m sticking with the default Bunpro path for now~

Like @Lamster mentioned, I’ve picked up various grammar points outside of Bunpro, so I also jump around and add them to my reviews.

1 Like

Which path do you use the most often?

• Default Bunpro
  • Genki I
  • Genki II
  • みんなの日本語 I
  • みんなの日本語 II
  • Tobira
  • Tae Kim
  • AIAIJ

0 voters

Out of curiosity, I thought a poll was in order for this type of question.

I was hoping they would add kanzen master range, does anyone know the status of this?

5 Likes

Speaking of paths, we have paths for JLPT N5, N4, N3.
Can we also have a path for JLPT N1?
Been looking at New Authentic Japanese: Progressing From Intermediate to Advanced.

3 Likes

To take the Bunpro path where do I go? it’s in Bunpro Grammar? or is it study?

The Bunpro path is the default option if you don’t choose a path from the path’s button.
I’ve never tried any of the other paths, so I’m not sure what it’d look like when you do choose a non-Bunpro path.

Bunpro Grammar refers to all the grammar that the Bunpro path has.

It definitely would be less confusing if Bunpro added a button under paths to make it more clear but it’s sort of redundant, I guess…

1 Like

Which resource do you recommend if someone takes the Bunpro path? I was trying to use Taeking along the default path but it felt kind of disconnected

1 Like

Currently, I’m kinda just using the outside resources that Bunpro links in their grammar points. I’m on N3 right now, and the majority of the previous questions I knew just from watching years of anime and listening to anisong, so I was able to match them pretty quickly.

Other than that, I’d recommend this website:

Despite the name, this website has amazing grammar video lessons and it made verb conjugation so much easier to understand for me.

I hear there’s an ultimate learning japanese resources somewhere? If so, let me know so I can link this website~

1 Like

I also don’t know what I’m doing, but I’ve begun following the Bunpro path recently. I first started with the Tae Kim path because I started reading that, but recently I’ve been watching Cure Dolly’s videos on Youtube, and I’ve found that I like building up from super basic grammar rather than jumping into conversational grammar like Tae Kim does.

2 Likes

I use bunpro in addition to tobira so I picked the tobira path. But I also study grammar that’s not from tobira but important for my level.

3 Likes

I’m currently doing Tae Kim, as it is very good at grouping grammar pieces together, so I confuse them less. With all of those together in groups, it is much easier to see the logic between certain statements, and learn the nuance in one go. A little bit of feedback would be to exclude certain example sentences that require knowledge of grammar points that have not been learned yet. I have previously done all of N4 and N5 and then reset back to Tae Kim, but I can see how others will find those grammar points (especially verb conjugation) to be confusing.

4 Likes

I started out following the default Bunpro order but switched to the みんなの日本語 Ⅰ path a few weeks ago because I started taking Japanese courses at uni.

4 Likes

G’day,
I chose the Minna no Nihongo path as I already had the textbook; turns out however, that the version Bunpro uses is obsolete and doesn’t align with the version in print (Ver.2)… this essentially negated any chance of using the text in concert. I am disappointed with this to say the least.
I would like to switch paths; however, I am concerned that I may lose my progress??

You don’t lose progress. You can pick any path at any time.

3 Likes

All paths are basically just grammar points in a certain order - if you switch the path all it does is show you grammar points in a different path.

Anyways, this is a fun topic and since there’s a ton of new users it’d be interesting to see what other people did. Myself, I did Tae Kim for a bit (since I refuse to use textbooks) but eventually halfway through I switched to Bunpro ordering just for simplicity and the example sentences going in order. Now that the site has added various N5 points to fill the gaps, I think it’s the best one to do still imo.

1 Like

I guess none. I climbed according to JLPT levels. I can’t figure out how the path works anyway :sweat_smile: