Why is this だというより wrong?

技術者 is a noun isn’t it???

1 Like

というより for me its okey like that , means something like more than say enginner , he is an artist. or something like that , notice that is という, to say or to be called something andよりexcluding that more than this…
sorry bad english , wish it helps

2 Likes

Bump

As far as I can tell you are essentially correct. Just seems like an error.

Edit:
Well it actually just seems like the legend is unclear, and the most natural way and most common way is to omit the だ, I cannot figure out it the exact reason. This probably needs a revision either way.

I think the key difference is that if you clearly are ending a sentences and then contrasting it with a different sentence all together then you probably need to use the だ. But mid sentence as a a conjunction the と is all you write.

Here it just says that you connect nouns directly without use of the だ. So again, I’m not crystal clear.

This turns up no results, so again I just think that the legend needs to be rewritten.

2 Likes

Structures that use という are a bit tricky when it comes to being grouped with nouns, as both will be correct, but the inclusion of だ simply stresses the point that something ‘is’ whatever is being expressed.

Maybe a good way to think about this omission is due to the second だ being at the end of the sentence already. With both だ’s being in there, the English would also change to something more like ‘He is more of an artist than (he is) an engineer’. I will alter the structure so that the omission of だ being more natural is obvious.

Sorry for the confusion!

4 Likes