WK sync is broken (and ignored?)

It appears the WK sync is broken. I’ve had items sync as seasoned when they should have synced as master despite multiple sync as master. Several users have been reporting issues with this in the bug reports thread, but it looks like there’s no response from the Bunpro team.

This is preventing my ability to use the Bunpro reviews for vocab as I have 100s of duplicate reviews from content I’ve already studied in Wanikani that will get in the way. Deduplicating my work from Wanikani was one of the major reasons I used Bunpro for vocab in the first place, so it’s rather important for me that this gets fixed.

It would be good if we could at least get an acknowledgement from the Bunpro team that they plan to investigate this, since the current silence makes it look like the Bunpro team do not consider this broken functionality an issue.

7 Likes

Hey!
We are looking into this, is it mobile app related issue or web?

Sorry fr the inconvenience :bowing_man:

4 Likes

This is related to your backend sync, so that’s sort of irrelevant?

But to tick the box for answering the question, you don’t allow control of this functionality on mobile, only on web.

1 Like

I just ran it on your account to see what was happening and it seems to have worked properly. A bunch of your reviews were updated to mastered and stuff that wasn’t imported yet was imported. Would you mind letting me know if it matches up with what you were expecting?

Just to note, it did take quite a while to fully run, about 3 minutes or so, due to having to go through a lot of import data from the WK api.

1 Like

The results look like expected now, thanks.

For some reason this is a different result than I was getting triggering a manual sync from the UI despite several attempts over the last few days. I wonder if whatever method you used to run it internally has a different timeout to the Sync now button in the UI?

1 Like

Hi Jake. Could you have a look at my account too? I’m level 60 on WK and when I originally synced, it only had a few hundred vocabulary marked. And each time I run the sync function manually in the settings (I wait until the green tick arrow appears), it adds maybe 50 more vocab into the complete list. This is on web. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve seen this happening with my account too. I recently started using Bunpro for vocab and noticed a lot of dupes with WaniKani that I would have expected to be marked through the sync.

For example 感染 is on both Bunpro and WaniKani and it wasn’t marked despite being burned on WaniKani for me.

Edit: Running the sync through the website does sometimes mark a few new vocab items for me, but the HTTP request returns a 502 error after around 30 seconds with the following message:

An error occurred with this application.

ROUTER_EXTERNAL_TARGET_ERROR
1 Like

I ran it through. It did take quite a while to process all of your WK progress. Seems maybe it is something with the time to process. We will see how we can improve it.

@kzkr I also ran yours.

Please let me know if your account now matches up with what you would expect.

1 Like

For me the daily WK sync still appears to be inconsistent (or dysfunctional) and I don’t seem to get new Seasoned words despite getting them to Guru on WK, unless I do a manual sync.

These are my WK settings:

I don’t know if the issue is with the sync itself, or with the WK Api having somehow a delay until it’s updated, or something else?

For example, all these words are words I had pushed up to Guru in the past several days (some of them have their next WK review in 3-4 days, which means I got them to Guru 1 3-4 days ago), that only appeared on Bunpro now this morning after I did a manual sync and never appeared through the daily sync:

Maybe the daily sync times out before it can get to these or something? No clue.

I have the same problem with daily sync not working, and manual sync sometimes working. As an example, I just got 事故 to guru yesterday. It did not automatically sync, and even with the manual sync I performed 10 minutes ago, it’s still unlearned on Bunpro

2 Likes

It looks like this didn’t completely fix the issue. I’ve now gone through all my pending reviews and found more incorrectly synced. For now I’ve manually marked them as mastered, but it appears even your manual sync was unsuccessful.

e.g. I just got multiple reviews which presented the kanji and asked me to type in a translation. This appears to have been imported from Wanikani, and I do not have this review type enabled, so it should not have presented this type of review. In addition, my WK import is syncing as mastered, so these items should not have been reviewed at all.

These items include:

• 酵素
  • 奉行
  • あほ
  • 羅針盤
  • 伐採
  • なお且つ
  • 鎮まる

There were also some items imported with my configured review type (fill in sentences) but not correctly moved to master

• 山賊
  • 起伏

Hi Jake, please if you have time can you also check my account. I made a post earlier about it only showing 222 vocab for me. I’m level 34 on wanikani. It should be in the thousands. Thanks

Edit: Thanks for syncing my account!

1 Like

Update:
I’ve kept track of words I’ve moved to Guru over the past days on Wanikani.
On Sunday 6th at around 10AM GMT, I got all these words from Apprentice to Guru:
妻子
火災
経路
一夫多妻
震災
夫妻
経由
有罪

And then on Monday 7th at give or take the same time:
非難
災害

But none of these words have appeared at all through daily sync, despite existing on Bunpro and (presumably) being linked to the WK counterpart. Also, for some reason 理論 appeared in my Seasoned 1 words yesterday… but without being in my reviews, with the next review being in like 10 days or something.
So while I don’t doubt manual sync would bring all these words in properly, there is definitely something wrong with Daily Sync.

Update update:
Still none of those words have appeared today, despite this little message in the WK settings saying the last sync time and date:
So as a result, I triggered a manual sync, and it took somewhere around an hour and a half to finally complete (it was saying “WK date is being imported” for around that long), and now finally brought 21 new reviews. So daily sync is definitely off in some way.

I’ve just removed some vocab from my reviews, and then manually synced WK. Some vocab I unlearned on Bunpro is > SRS 4 on WaniKani, so I expected those to be imported as Seasoned. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.

UPD. I’ve reset my entire progress for WaniKani vocab, and then synced it again. Although it did import some of those words I’ve reset progress for, most notably it didn’t sync some basic vocab like 私, 本, 猫, etc. at first. After the second manual sync it seems alright.

UPD2. Nope. (いえ) is still missing. Interestingly enough it did sync (うち) but not (いえ). Also kana vocabulary didn’t sync

Seems the daily sync has “stabilized” and now functions as it should on my end, as it has brought new Guru words every day since my last post - I assume that if daily sync only looks for new changes to alleviate the load, then if for some reason it has missed something (sync timed out, or some other issue) it’ll never sync those words afterwards until you do a full manual sync. So an occasional full manual sync helps it catch up with what was potentially missed.