A question about the example sentence それぐらいでいいです。

I have a question about the example sentence それぐらいでいいです。 (Topic: くらい, 1) The translation says, “About there is good. [The speaker is referring to the position of an object that the listener is arranging.]”

But if we are talking about position, why not say “そこぐらいでいいです。” instead? Why それ is used here? (それ means “that (one),” not “there,” right?)

1 Like

Just my personal opinion, but I would say that either is acceptable. You can translate this to English and say ‘that’s about right’ even though you’re referring to a location rather than a thing, I feel it would still come across as natural.
When I’m chatting to my friends in an everyday conversation in Japanese I feel like I would use either one interchangeably.

1 Like

matt_in_mito, thank you for your reply. I think I understand now.

1 Like

@matt_in_mito
@andrey1267

Sorry for the super slow answer :bowing_man:
From now on I will be answering them much faster :bowing_man:

I have been thinking for a bit about this example, and concluded that when it comes to moving/arranging objects, it would be more natural for something like this:

Husband:「ここならどう?」 (How is here?)
Wife: 「 そのあたりがいいかな?」(or「 そのへんがいいね」or そこがいいね」or「そこでいいね。」or「そこらへんでいい」(About it is right?)

*Those translations work mostly because of context, though.

それぐらいでいい is a bit awkward in this context, and would only work in a certain situation when the other person is sliding (moving) something away from you inch by inch and at a certain point you say:
それぐらいでいい (About this far is good.)

そこくらいでいい is unnatural.

About the only context when そこ+くらい can be used together is when we are using は…くらいだ construction when we want to say that this is about the only place for something.

(Assuming we are talking about furniture)
「そこくらいだね」 would mean something along “This only places suitable to put that furniture…”

The nuance section under example has been changed to speak about the extent, I am sorry for confusing but I hope it is all cleared now :bowing_man:

Cheers :+1:

2 Likes

Hi mrnoone, I’m sorry, I also saw your reply just now. I saw that you adjusted the translation of this sentence and the explanation. It makes much more sense now. Thanks!

2 Likes